cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modified an Incremental Job

beaujoire
Level 5

Hi,

I Have a question about incremental Job on BE2010. Actually I use 2 Jobs : one with a Full Backup every Friday Evening ; one with an Incremental backup from tuesday to thursday. These 2 Jobs use the Same Selection List.

To do an Incremental backup, BE have to launch a Full Backup the very First Time so my question is :

If a Modified the Selection,( I want to add a ressources), does the Incremental Job will begin a new full backup or does it will go on normally ?

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you modify a selection list, you should immediately do a full backup to establish a new baseline.

Assuming that you are using the archive bit method, the incremental backup will only backup those files in the new addition to the selection list with the archive bit on.  Those files in the new addition without the archive bit on WILL NOT be backed up.

An incremental backup will only back up files with the archive bit on and nothing else.

You can easily prove what I said is true

1) create 2 directories with some files in them.

2) use 2 jobs to do a full backup of these two directories.  This will reset all the archive bits.

3) modify some of the files in directory A.

4) create an incremental job to backup directory A.

5) modify some files in both directory A and B.

6) add directory B to the selection of the incremental job created in Step 4.

7) run the incremental job.  You will see that only the modified files in directory B are backed up and NOT all the files in directory B.

The above also holds true if you are using the modified time method.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If a Modified the Selection,( I want to add a ressources), does the Incremental Job will begin a new full backup or does it will go on normally ?

It should process normally, tho it will be quite a bit larger than your normal INCR, since it will grab all data on the new resource(s)

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Incremental job will take a full backup of the new resources added to the selection list and incremental

backup of the resources which were already part of the selection list.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you modify a selection list, you should immediately do a full backup to establish a new baseline.

Assuming that you are using the archive bit method, the incremental backup will only backup those files in the new addition to the selection list with the archive bit on.  Those files in the new addition without the archive bit on WILL NOT be backed up.

An incremental backup will only back up files with the archive bit on and nothing else.

You can easily prove what I said is true

1) create 2 directories with some files in them.

2) use 2 jobs to do a full backup of these two directories.  This will reset all the archive bits.

3) modify some of the files in directory A.

4) create an incremental job to backup directory A.

5) modify some files in both directory A and B.

6) add directory B to the selection of the incremental job created in Step 4.

7) run the incremental job.  You will see that only the modified files in directory B are backed up and NOT all the files in directory B.

The above also holds true if you are using the modified time method.