cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly vs. weekly backup

Don_Boroughs
Level 2
I'm having a problem using a GFS scheme where instead of a monthly running on the last Friday of the month a weekly is running. I have the schedule set up to run a weekly full for Fridays 1 through 4 (since some months have 5 Fridays) and a monthly full on the last Friday. I also have a rule in place that a monthly superceeds a weekly if the start times conflict. The time window is the same for both the weekly and the monthly. How do I get the monthly to run?
5 REPLIES 5

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Does the problem occur only in case there are 4 fridays or does it happen on all last fridays of the month?

Make sure that you choose to run the monthly job on last fridays? What are the settings that you have configured in the schedule?

Don_Boroughs
Level 2
The problem occurs on months with 4 Fridays only.

The monthly is configured to run on the last Friday of the month.

On the monthly under Schedule I have checked "Run according to schedule and run according to rules for this template". Under Schedule Details, under Run Day Options I have selected "Week Days" and checked the box for Last Friday. The Effective Date is in the past. The Time Window is set identical to the weekly.

As I stated in my original post, the rule is in place for the monthly to take precedence over the weekly if there is a conflict.

Stuart_Miller
Level 3
We had a similar problem and ended up using the 'exclude dates' area in backup job to exclude all week 4 jobs from weekly schedule - so monthly backup would run OK.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

You need to manually exclude the dates which conflict with each other therefore
monthly full backup will be performed and weekly full backup can be avoided.

Refer: http://support.veritas.com/docs/268666

Thanks!

Don_Boroughs
Level 2
OK, thanks for your help, but now I don't understand the function of the weekly/monthly conflict rule.