cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mount Failed Errors

Jon_Birnbaum
Level 2
Other than a bad tape or drive, is there anything else that would cause "Mount Failed - User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation" errors?

I administer multiple locations, each of which have the identical hardware configuration (same servers, same tape drives, same media), and I'm plagued by Mount Failed errors at least 2-3 times a week at every site. There doesn't seem to be anything consistent about the errors, either. The tapes are being swapped in a weekly rotation at each site and the errors do not always occur on the same day each week.

At this point, I've tried new tapes and have swapped one of the tape drives (with the identical model), but this does not fix the problem. Any help would be much appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Check if the following applies.

(title) User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation" (a000810f HEX or e000810f HEX) is reported in the backup job log when attempting to run a backup operation.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/246967

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Jon_Birnbaum
Level 2
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I don't believe that document applies to this situation. I have tried rotating in new tapes, swapping the tape drive, and have verified that write protection is not enabled on the tape.

We are using version 9.00 Build 4367. Could an issue like this be addressed by upgrading? Or are there any other software-related steps I could try to help troubleshoot the problem?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Jon,

You may llike to upgrade the version of Backup Exec v9.0 to Backup Exec v9.1 4691. This upgrade is free upgrade. Please refer to the following link to download it. Kindly read carefully the whole document before starting the installation:

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691.1 (Single .ZIP download)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/264658

After the upgrade, you can download and install the latest device drivers from the link mentioned below:

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 - Device Driver Installer (20050115) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

Try to take backup and verify the results. If the problem still persists then please revert with the exact error message.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jon_Birnbaum
Level 2
Thanks for the links. I'm currently looking into whether or not I'm able to upgrade all locations to the v9.1 version.

Have you seen the v9.1 upgrade resolve "Mount Failed" or similar issues for other people? Is there anywhere I can read over a list of fixes between v9.0.4367 and v9.1.4691?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Jon,

Backup Exec v9.0 4367 being the older version, it is always better to have the latest version with oneself. Lot of issues are resolved with version 9.1.

The error you are getting is generally reported if there is some problem with the drive or media, however it can have verious other reasons possible as well. Therefore, you can try upgrading to BE v9.1 and check the results.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool