Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move data from LTO2 ta LTO4

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I am running B. Exec 2010 R3 Rev. 5204 on my new server #2

I have LTO-2 tapes that were created on server #1

I would like to move/duplicate/copy (whatever the terminology is) the data from an archived LTO-2 tape to an LTO-4 tape on server #2.

I would like to have the new LTO-4 tape "MAINTAIN the ARCHIVED DATES" of course....rather than newly assigning todays date to the old data.

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you have a LTO2 and a LTO4 tape drive on the same server then you can create a job to duplicate the backup sets on the LTO2 tapes to LTO4 tapes.

If you have only the LTO4 tape drive, then you need to duplicate the backup sets on the LTO2 tape to disk and then duplicate the disk backup sets to LTO4 tapes.  

By duplicating the backup sets, you will preserve the dates of the files in the backup sets.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you have a LTO2 and a LTO4 tape drive on the same server then you can create a job to duplicate the backup sets on the LTO2 tapes to LTO4 tapes.

If you have only the LTO4 tape drive, then you need to duplicate the backup sets on the LTO2 tape to disk and then duplicate the disk backup sets to LTO4 tapes.  

By duplicating the backup sets, you will preserve the dates of the files in the backup sets.

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

Thank you. This is working.

I have discovered that if I don't have all the tapes in a given media set, then I get an error. No need to discuss here. Will cross that bridge should it occur where I cannot find all the tapes.

So, thank you for your assistance!