cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move mailbox database during backup (active/passive) ?

DKTOA
Level 3

Hi,

I am responsible for Microsoft Exchange 2010, not the backup. We are using Backup Exec 2010R3 and Exchange Backup agent.

We have two mailbox servers. The person who is responsible for backup says that I can't activate another database copy during backup time, move passive to active or active to passive. If I do, the backup will be corrupted ! Is this statement correct ? Any documentation on that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Got no documentation readily available, but if you start a backup from the application while a backup from BE is running, you're bound to run into issues.

This is why Symantec always recommend running the BE backup outside of any maintenance windows/application backups being done as they will clash.

The backup can be corrupted, but it might also result in failed backups, or data missing during the backup.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Got no documentation readily available, but if you start a backup from the application while a backup from BE is running, you're bound to run into issues.

This is why Symantec always recommend running the BE backup outside of any maintenance windows/application backups being done as they will clash.

The backup can be corrupted, but it might also result in failed backups, or data missing during the backup.

Thanks!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I am not sure but I think it should not be an issue , because when you perform a GRt backup of exchange it backs up the Exchange Database . so if the move of the mailbox is withing the same database it should not be an issue .If the move have any effect , the backup job would probably fail.