Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup IT Analytics Foundation

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi

I have a question on NBITA Foundation Data Collectors. 

We've used OpsCenter up to this point which was just a single server that we pointed towards the master server. Our environment is small with just a single Windows 10.1 Primary server virtual machine and a single NB 5250 appliance all on a single site.

For the NBITA deployment we plan to create a new VM for the Oracle and Portal server but, ideally, don't want to deploy a further VM to install the data collector. I have read that it is only for 'performance' reasons that Veritas don't recommend install the DC on the same VM as the portal server but it can be done if installed into a different directory. I think this would be fine for us but wanted thoughts from others.

I also wasn't sure if I actually need to deploy data collector binaries for this? - As we will only be using the Foundation version for NetBackup, do I just configure the NBU Primary server itself on the Portal server as the data collector and then create the NetBackup policy to point towards the NetBackup domain? As we did on the old OpsCenter server.

many thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Just search it again.
Veritas had authorized the use of ALTA collector with IT analytics. So there is not need to install a separate datacollector to gather netbackup data. You can use the preinstalled collector on the primary server.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/140726438-158566323-0/v158506156-158566323

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

StefanosM
Level 6

When I started installing its analytics, I was installing the portal and data collector on one system. I realize that, in most cases, this causes problems.
Now I install Data Collector on a different system for all installations, no matter what.

For BYO master servers, especially if the installation is small, I install the data collector on the master server system. This simplifies the installation.

Hello

Thanks - that's very useful information. So the Data Collector still needs be installed,  but I will look to deploy this on the NBU Master server.

Also - the Portal server will be a VMware virtual machine which will also host the Oracle instance. I've found so information to help size the memory and storage requirements for the VM but can't see anything on how many vCPUs to assign. Do you have any thoughts on how many vCPUs for a small environment? I was thinking of just assigning 2 CPUs

Finally, I just wanted to check the licensing requirements. As this is just for NetBackup Foundation and as I have a Veritas NetBackup subscription license, I think I will only need to buy an Oracle license??  And this should be an Oracle Standard 19c edition license - is that correct?

Many thanks again

StefanosM
Level 6

You cannot add more than 4 vCPUs. This is the limit of the oracle lic. Use two, but if you experience speed problems, add the other two vCPUs.

10.1 has already ALTA it collector installed, which initially was not compatible with NetBackup. There was a technote pointing to uninstall ALTA Collector and install netbackup IT collector.
The technote does not exist any more. If you want to try the already-installed collector, open a case and ask for help.

I do not know anything regarding Oracle. If someone else knows, I'm interested. The only thing I know is that the Defallt installation is standard edition.

StefanosM
Level 6

Just search it again.
Veritas had authorized the use of ALTA collector with IT analytics. So there is not need to install a separate datacollector to gather netbackup data. You can use the preinstalled collector on the primary server.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/140726438-158566323-0/v158506156-158566323

Perfect - many thanks for the follow-up.

I also saw in a recent 10.3.0.1 deployment a stage during the install where it says it's installing the data collector for NBITA  - so I think we'll all be good :o)

many thanks