cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving 3 Exchange 2003 Servers to new Backup Server Media server

Adam_Mac
Level 3

I just wanted to see if there is any thoughts on the current migration of Agents.

We are replacing our existing Backup Exec server that is running an older verison of the Backup Exec 11D.

I have a new Server and library system that is installed with Backup Exec 2010R3.

I have 3 Exchange servers that are 1 Front End and 2 Back end servers.

I am looking to upgrade the agents on the servers and start backing them up on the new library.

I am looking ot see if there is any recommendations or experence on upgrading the Agents, in an multi-server enviroment.

Can anyone see any issue with a migration with a server at a time (or at least front end server first, and then the back end servers)?

The backups that are being run and will be run are nightly full backups.

I am looking to ensure that I have a smooth transision but also want to keep clean backups though out the migration.

Thanks for any thougts

A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No specific recommendation. Just push the new remote agent to the server(s) and make sure to run a test backup. If you have multiple Exchange Information Stores, make a backup of a small one directly after the agent installation. If one runs without issues, the others will probably also be successfull.

Don't forget to do a test-restore, only if you are sure you can restore data, the backup is usable.

Push agent:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH36546#Push_Install

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No specific recommendation. Just push the new remote agent to the server(s) and make sure to run a test backup. If you have multiple Exchange Information Stores, make a backup of a small one directly after the agent installation. If one runs without issues, the others will probably also be successfull.

Don't forget to do a test-restore, only if you are sure you can restore data, the backup is usable.

Push agent:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH36546#Push_Install

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Other that what was previously advised, be aware that you can only have 1 remote agent on the Exchange servers.  Once you have installed the BE 2010 remote agent on the servers, you cannot back them up with your old BE 11d server.  If you need to revert to BE 11d, you need to uninstall the BE 2010 remote agent and install the BE 11d agent.

Adam_Mac
Level 3

Thanks, I have posted a new issue as I have got 2 of the 3 systems updated to the new agent but running into issues on the 3rd one, and that is our primay mailbox store.  It is also the one that needs to be treated with extra care, and little downtime.

The 2 that upgraded worked slick nothing special and backing upt properly.