cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving BE 11d to new server

want2backup
Level 3

I have a BE 11d server that I'm having problems with jobs that are getting the dreaded Device ID 9 in the event log.  Everything has been replaced including the hardware to no avail.  The biggest problem has been that this old server is running Win2000 Server.  It seems that if you are running this OS there are no hotifxes or updates to 7170 unless you are running win2003 or higher. Anyway, I've moved on, here is what I need to do:

I need to move everything to a new server. My new server is dual xeon 2.8 with 3gb ram and Windows 2008 server 64bit.  I'm trying to install 11d and it won't allow me to do a local install.  It will only allow me to do a "local install of the remote server administrator".  I presume I need to do an install of the media server as this will be my new backup server.  Is the installation ready AD and getting some permission info from there?

Once I get it installed I'd like to move over all the catalogs, selection lists etc....

Appreciate the help

Ken

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

BE11d is not compatible with Win 2008. BE12.0 and above can be installed on Win 2008 server.

BE11d software compatibility list.http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50180

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

You'd install the OS on the other server, and then install Backup Exec...BE 2010 R3 is the latest version available.

Once done, refer to the TN below in order to migrate to another version of BE...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67296

Thanks!

want2backup
Level 3

Thanks guys. Turns out there seems to be a mistake in the directions when doing the SQL database change of server name.  That part just doesn't work.  Doesnt' seem to matter what the server name is. I always get the same error.  SQL services is running.  When did the "osql" come in to service? I thought the name was longer than that in previous versions...

Ken

want2backup
Level 3

Ok figured out that it's "sqlcmd" not "osql".  Went through and changed the name and that is where it now fails to start the services.  If I don't do the SQL step to change the server name, the services will actually start OK.

Ken

want2backup
Level 3

When I try to start backup exec service I get an error. App logs give a EventID: 57802 described as "The backup Exec Server Service did not start. An internal error (-536813108) occured in object 1.

I've search the knowedgebase on some of these all of which come up as dead ends (as usual).

If I copy over the original Data and Catalogs folders that were installed with the new install of 11d, all services start fine.  SQL starts fine.  SQL manager shows the server instance BKUPEXEC running with no errors.  Is there somewhere else to look for clues as to why it won't start?

This is just an 11d to 11d move to new server with different name. I used the instructions in the knowledge base and followed each step which got me to where I am now, no working server.

Ken