cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving BE Database from SQL 2005 to 2000

XexeX
Level 4

I'm using BE11d that is not installed by me. I've found that this BE using SQL 2005. However, we have another prodcution SQL 2000 on this machine. We'd like to move the database from SQL 2005 to SQL 2000, and uninstall SQL 2005 for some licensing issue.

How can I move the database to SQL 2000?

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should create another instance of SQL 2000 for BE and then use the procedure in the document below to move the BEDB

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH37752

XexeX
Level 4

I've tried BEUtility but fail.

Failed to attached database BEDB to "NewServer"

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Why don't you install SQL Express 2005 which is perfectly sufficient for BE and does not require purchasing a license.

XexeX
Level 4

Yes, we've considered about SQL Express 2005, but we want to manage only 1 SQL Server in a machine, and 2 instances cuase the memory problem for our 32bit machine.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Even if you use SQL 2000, you would still need 2 instances of SQL 2000.  It is not recommended to put the BEDB in the same instance as your production database.

XexeX
Level 4

My 32bit machine can only allocate 4GB memory, SQL 2000 and Backup Exec will use 1.7GB x 2 on this machine so there are only 600MB for OS. Any suggestion for my case?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't know where you get your memory figures from.  At one stage, I was running BE 10 with SQL Express on a 32-bit machine with 4GB memory.  There is also a SQL 2000 production database on this machine and I did not experience any problems.

BTW, for a 32-bit machine, you effectively get to use only about 3.2 - 3,3 GB because the higher addresses are used for driver addressing

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You need several instances - this is correct. However the BEDB is rather small (in most scenarios under 100MB) so SQL wont need a lot of ram for caching. Additionally you can limit the amout of ram used for caching per database. So this should not cause a problem. 

What pkh says regarding 3,2GB memory limit is only partly correct. When you have a OS that supports PAE (physical address extension) you CAN use the full 4GB memory, however no process will be able to allocate more than 3,2 GB of RAM for itself.

XexeX
Level 4

Can I move the BEDB from SQL 2005 to 2000? If no, I think this is a good idea to limit the amount of ram used for BEDB.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

We are talking about Windows server here and none of the Windows 32-bit OS'es can address more than 4GB of memory even though they support PAE.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Restricting the RAM that BE uses, may have an adverse impact on its performance.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You probably can, but I would recommend leaving BE 11d connected to SQL Express 2005...it doesn't interact with other versions of SQL (I have it running on a server with SQL 2000 on a site...that is an old ProLiant DL380 G4 running Windows Server 2003 w/SP2, and using 4GB RAM...also acts as a DC, file and print server, and Exchange server), and it doesn't use a lot of resources.

The management of the BEDB would be very basic, and done through BEutility.exe anyway. No reason for you to want to manage the BEDB using SQL Manager.

Thanks!

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This is not correct. Refer to this list or to the MSDN: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension#Microsoft_Windows

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just to backup comments made by others earlier in this thread we have a document on why you should not install the BEDB in the same instance as a production application

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35935

As such I's suggest staying with keep your application in SQL 2000 and Backup Exec in the 2005 Express Edition installed by default as well.