cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Data and Settings

Jonathan_Embert
Level 3
I am currently running BackupExec 9 on an NT 4 server, and need to move the catalogs, settings, etc... to a Windows Server 2003 server. How do I accomplish this?
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Veritas has a procedure (see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/260054.htm ) to do this, but specifically says that it cannot be used to move between OSs. See the Do Not Use If near the top of the TechNote

If you have the OptionPak, you should be able to use that, or if you have not already built out the W2K3 server, you could build it as a vanilla W2K server, install backup exec use the TechNote and then upgrade to W2K3 before loading any other appsMessage was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Jonathan_Embert
Level 3
It is actually a new server with W2K3 already installed. So there is no way to retrieve any old data once the new server is in place?

Paul_Abresch
Level 4
Hello Ken....Did you ever have an issue when backing up the Windows 2000 or 2003 OS folder.

In the C:\windows folder ....there are numerous *.dll files that do not get backed up e.g dmserver.dll or ntoskrnl.exe...the job runs successfully but 0 files get backed up. I'v tried this on 3 different media servers and on different servers running the latese remote agent and I still cannot backup critical *.dll files.....any thought's would be appreciated, thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As far as old job defs, media sets etc, probably not

Youcan however copy all the U01 files from \Catalogs dir of the old server to that of the new server, then see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/272886.htm to force BackupExec to re-index the catalog. After that, all your old media should appear in the catalog

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
It's been quite a while since I actually restored a server, but didn't have any problems doing so on Win2k

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Cayce,
You may upgrade the OS on the existing media server to Win2k3 so that you may migrate the installation to the new win2k3 server as per the procedure in the technote given by Mr.Putnam.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Jonathan_Embert
Level 3
Hate to bring up an old questions, but I am trying to get this resolved. Cayce was filling in for me while I was on military LoA. She tells me that one of the servers has changed it backup software to retrospect becaue Backup Exec isnt able to follow us in our 2k3 Migration.
Lets lay this out plain and simple because I have received a yes and a no from you guys.

Old server running NT4 and backup exec. New server is purchased with 2k3. How can I pull the catalogs over to the new server?

One office was running 9.0 the other 2 are 8.6 upgrading to 10d before during after the migration to 2k3 is great. I dont care as long as I can pull those catalogs with me to the NEW 2k3 servers.

If I can move the catalogs to the new server with a different operating system then what is the purpose of having long term archives!?!?! I have backup exec tapes from 98 and we access tapes 1-3 years old probably monthly and 4-8 years a couple times a year.

Jon Emberton