cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple stand alone tape drives

Will_Mecklenbur
Level 3
I was told by chat rep that I would need the LEO agent for V10 Small Business 2k3 edition if I wanted to backup to two tape drives. I have to identical Quantum 7000 drives. I want one to be for my full backups and the other one to be dedicated to IDR backups. Do I need to purchase the LEO agent? The Backup Exec v10 product literature says support for unlimited stand alone dirves but ony 1 robotic drive. I have no robotic drives just two standalone drives. Can anyone tell me if I need to buy LEO or as another chat rep told me a 2nd program license?
3 REPLIES 3

Kerm
Level 5
I can't verify for V10, but on V8.6 I had two separate tape drives, a DDS-3 and a Mammoth 2 running during a transition from one media to the other. No problem using them one at a time. I didn't attempt a cascaded drive pool with them (didn't need it).

I'm not aware of anything in the Veritas literature that would require additional licensing for two standalone tape drives on one BEX server. There may be limitations in using them simultaneously. I'm thinking that if BEX finds both drives during installation and loads drivers, you should be o.k.

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
Hi there,

Since you have two standalone drives, you will not require any LEO. Backup Exec supports unlimited number of standalone drives and one robotic library. For any additionally drive in the library or another robotic library you will need to purchase LEO, however, you can use any number of standalone drives with Backup Exec. without requiring any license.

Thank YOu.

Will_Mecklenbur
Level 3
Wonderful, you saved me some money! Thanks for the help