cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My solution to "MSXML 4.0 failed to install" / "Document ID: 286004"

Thomas_Scholz_2
Level 3
Hello,

just wanted to share my solution to http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286004.htm
The error occured on a W2K3 SP1 standard english system (be9.1 and MSXML4 SP2 already installed).

The be11d setup starts the msxml.msi from WINNT\INSTALL\MSXML and fails (with the msiexec installer log saying that it cannot find file WINNT\INSTALL\MSXML\msxml4_sp2.msi).
The reason for msiexec to look for file msxml4_sp2.msi seems to be that this was the name of the file with which SP2 was originally installed (it really was installed like that). Putting a copy of msxml.msi named msxml4_sp2.msi into WINNT\INSTALL\MSXML causes msiexec not to fail. So, this seems like a msiexec issue, not be11d.

Regards
Thomas
2 REPLIES 2

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
Good info... Thanks!

Russ

Paul_Kirill
Level 2
I believe our solution was the same concept - just a different file name. Here's how we came about it:

Our solution came by checking the eventlog for MsiInstaller event# 11316 where we saw this description:

"Product: MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK -- Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\BEWS_11D_32BIT_VERSION\WINNT\INSTALL\MSXML\msxml.msi"

We simply changed the existing "msxml.msi" filename to reflect the one in the event description and the installation proceeded without incident.

This was on Windows Server 2003 SP1 32bit...