cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Error - x64 Version on Win2k3 x64

Chris_Murphy
Level 2
I'm trying to install the 64-bit version of Backup Exec 11d onto a fresh install of Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition.

Once I get past all the settings and get to the install screen, I click install, and within 1 minute, a box pops up that says Windows Installer in the title bar and inside the box are all the Windows Installer parameters.

I click OK on this box and it takes me back to the installation screen which says 'The wizard was interrupted before Symantec Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers could be completely installed.'

Here are the lines from the log...

12-28-2006,16:26:32 : V-225-235: MSXML 4.0 failed to install. ***To search for information about this error, click here
12-28-2006,16:26:32 : V-225-235: MSXML 4.0 SP2 failed to install... Canceling installation. ***To search for information about this error, click here
12-28-2006,16:26:32 : Failed to install third party products.

12-28-2006,16:27:18 : Validating install complete
12-28-2006,16:27:19 : ERROR: Installation failed with error 1639.

Can anyone help with this issue?

Thanks,

Chris
10 REPLIES 10

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
I did the same install but didn't have the problem you're seeing. I did have all the OS patches as well as R2. From the message you're getting it appears applying the MSXML 4.0 upgrade and patch directly from Microsoft may get you going.

Chris_Murphy
Level 2
I have all updates to Windows and am running R2. I'll try installing it directly from Microsoft and see if that works.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris_Murphy
Level 2
I downloaded the latest version of MSXML from Microsoft, uninstalled, and reinstalled it, and I am still receiving the same error.

I guess maybe you guys might need more server configuration information...

Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition R2
All Updates Performed
Exchange Server 2007 Enterprise
Active Directory Domain Controller
DNS Server
DHCP Server
IIS 6.0
IE 7

Can't think of anything else installed yet.

Thanks,

Chris

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document;

Backup Exec for Windows Servers (BEWS) installation fails with the error, "V-225-235: MSXML 4.0 SP2 failed to install".

http://support.veritas.com/docs/286004

Thank You,

Shweta

Tom_Agerbo_Niel
Level 3
Yes, I think we have read this, but when can we expect a solution.

It looks like it is a problem with long / short filenames, because when I try to execute the installation string for MSXML.MSI, from the Run Command I get the same error, but when I execute the same, but change the location og the log file to C:\, then the installation returns no error.

Does anyone know where the installation gets / sets the parameters for installation of MSXML.MSI ?

Tom

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello Tom,

Could you please check out for errors in the MSXML.log which is created in the Logs Folder in Application Data of all Users?

Thanks!

Tom_Agerbo_Niel
Level 3
Hi

Well he problem is that it won't generate a log, and i think it is because of the combination og short and long filenames.

MSXML won't install with this command which is generated in setup.

msiexec /i "D:\BEWS_11D_X64_VERSION\WINNT\INSTALL\MSXML\msxml.msi" /l*v C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\MSXML4.log /qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress

Because when I change it to

msiexec /i "D:\BEWS_11D_X64_VERSION\WINNT\INSTALL\MSXML\msxml.msi" /l*v C:\\MSXML4.log /qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress

And fire it from the run command it executes the setup of MSXML.MSI, but unfortunately the BE setup is stopped.

/Tom

Tom_Agerbo_Niel
Level 3
Still no news ?

Fabiano_Vanzuit
Not applicable
Hi Cris,

I have the same problem and I fix it with the following steps:

1 - In registry editor on hive:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

on NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation set to 0

2 - And Regional Settings English (United States) in Standards and Formats and in Locations United States

3 - Reboot the Server

This works to me.

Paul_Kirill
Level 2
Our solution came by checking the eventlog for MsiInstaller event# 11316 where we saw this description:

"Product: MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK -- Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\BEWS_11D_32BIT_VERSION\WINNT\INSTALL\MSXML\msxml.msi"

We simply changed the existing "msxml.msi" filename to reflect the one in the event description and the installation proceeded without incident.

This was on Windows Server 2003 SP1 32bit...