cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP backup of EMC Celerra fails with: The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent

tjestr
Level 3
Partner

Hi,
we are backing up our EMC Celerra via NDMP and BackupExec 2010R2 (v. 13.0.4164 - 64Bit).
After the job finishes the job status is always "Failed" with the following explanation:

V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine 10.192.20.53:10000. (10.192.20.53 is the Celerra)

But the job seemed to be sucessfully because I'm able to restore data.
Is there a trick do stop this error message?

11 REPLIES 11

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
That is normal behaviour and should not be a problem. The message come because we can't install the remote agent in the EMC celerra and obviously it just tells that it is unable to connect. But if you check in the restore and if everything is intact then you are good to restore the data.

This was always the behvious with 11d,12.0,12.5 and still continuing. No way to get rid of it

sksujeet
Level 6
Here is the document just in case you want it from Symantec
http://support.veritas.com/docs/330213

tjestr
Level 3
Partner
We had no problems with BackupExec 12.5.
AND Symantec can't be serious. I won't check every backup manually....

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If that message is an Orange Exception message and not a Red Failure message then it is because you are backing up over CIFS shares and no remote agent is present - there is no way to disable this warning unles you start using the NDMP option. . Note I assume it is orange as you said your restore selections are visible

If you are getting that message when doing an NDMP Option backup then you should not be and you should log a formal support case.

tjestr
Level 3
Partner
It is a RED failure message. And no I'm not backing up the CIFS shares. I'm using NDMP selections.

tjestr
Level 3
Partner
And regarding the suppport case: We are on trial to test the new version. So I assume that we won't get support, right?

teiva-boy
Level 6
If you own the product have have a valid support contract, even it you're trial'ing the latest build, they would support you as a valid support contract will support all supported builds, as far back as at least BE 12.0.

That said, if it's asking for a remote agent, are you sure you are not selecting in your selection list any of the CIFS shares?  This is usually hte case, when you are backing up via UNC path.  If it were NDMP, then that message should NOT come up. 

tjestr
Level 3
Partner

See the attached screenshots. Everything I know of is configured to use NDMP. Or is there anything else I need to check?

tjestr
Level 3
Partner
In the job logs I can see the following:

Backup set #1 on storage media #7
NDMP Log Message: server_archive: emctar vol 1, 1613897 files, 0 bytes read, 6195084683286 bytes written
NDMP Data Halted: Succesful
NDMP Log Message: Mover: Data connection closed by foreign host.
NDMP Mover Halted: Connect Closed

================  NDMP ENVIRONMENT  ================
FILESYSTEM=/FS01
LEVEL=0
DUMP_DATE=-1
UPDATE=Y
HIST=Y
SNAPSURE=Y
TYPE=dump
===============  NDMP ENVIRONMENT END  ===============

tjestr
Level 3
Partner
No one else having the same problem?

sksujeet
Level 6
The job log you pasted says data was backed up successfully. Can you please attach the job log which shows the error message in RED as you said.