cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetApp Fas2020 user-defined selection - Cannot access snapshot directory via CIFS

walizada
Level 2

Hi,

I am setting up Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2 to backup NetApp snapshots via CIFS shares. I am able to access both the root of the share and the snapshot folder via Windows Explorer. The NetApp SAN is a FAS2020.

I have created a set of user-defined selections for both the CIFS share and its snapshot folder. The problem I am seeing is that Symantec Backup can access the root of the share but cannot access the snapshot folder (via ~snapshot).

I have attached two screenshots outlining the problem. I have added the BESA account on the filer with explict permissions and no luck.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

sourmash
Not applicable

try disabling NDMP on the filer.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Refer the following document

it should answer your query

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH60554

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I haven't tested this - but gut feeling is you can probably ONLY backup the ~snapshot location using the NDMP Option because of the special nature of the ~snapshot folder and needing to access it via NetApp API calls (which can't be accessed via CIFS level connections)

I know we can backup individual snapshot folders if using the NDMP option because I have tested that. Be aware that you have to backup one snapshot at a time - you can't select ~snapshot even with the NDMP option - you have to select ~snapshot/snapshotfolder

walizada
Level 2

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your reply. I made sure that NDMP was not running on the Fas2020 and am still getting the same error. 

Is there official confirmation from Symantec indicating that this is not a supported workflow?

I am ready to open a support ticket on this item and wanted to get some more details from you, if possible.

Thank you.