cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netware 6 NDS Restore - 'Access is Denied' Error.

Dheeraj_MS
Level 3
Hi,

I'm running Backup Exec 10d Rev. 5629(with SP1) on W2K3 Enterprise Edition with SP1 and latest OS patches => Master Backup Server.

Client(s): Netware 6 SP5 with latest Netware Agent with AOFO installed.

Backed up NDS & NFS/Data successfully from the Live Netware 6 server. When restoring NDS on another identical server, i'm getting '0xe0008488 - Access is Denied' error. Actually, NDS information is getting restored and i'm able to login to the server from the restored data.

This test server is identical in terms of Admin account, Context, Password, Server Context, Server Name, IP & the Tree Name w.r.t. the main Netware server. I don't want to try this activity on Live Server. Before restoring, Resource Credentials successfully verified. TSA5UP19.exe patch applied., reconfigured SMDR and reloaded, restarted the server. Time is in sync. Admin has all rights.

I read that when performing a full NDS restore, admin and Backup Exec objects has to be excluded from being restored (http://support.veritas.com/docs/188705). Where should i configure this option? I'm not clear on this. Need some help please. I guess this is throwing out that 'Access is denied' error. How serious is this?

I do have logs for all these, will post if required. Avoiding because of their large size.

TIA,
Dheeraj.Message was edited by:
Dheeraj MS
18 REPLIES 18

criley
Employee Accredited
Yes, I suspect that's the problem. When you submit the restore, browse through the catalog and de-select the admin and Backup Exec objects. This should ensure that you don't get these 'access denied' errors.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please could you update if the above solution has helped you.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Dheeraj_MS
Level 3
Hi,

I'm yet to try. Need two more days.

Thanks,
Dheeraj.

Dheeraj_MS
Level 3
Hi,

I'm yet to try, need two more days.

Thanks,
Dheeraj.

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Could you please update us on the issue as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Dheeraj_MS
Level 3
Did i say i need two more days to get back on this, this morning?

Dheeraj.

Dheeraj_MS
Level 3
Chris,

I tried what we thought about. Still i'm getting the same 'Access is denied' error.

I deselected the following objects under in the path,

.T=DOM
.O=RESOURCES
.OU=SERVERS

and the below objects are in right window when i click on SERVERS.

.CN=Test Backup Job Queue
.CN=admin.OU=servers.O=resources.T=DOM
.CN=ADMIN_DOM_NOVELL1.OU=servers.O=resources.T=DOM
.CN=DOM_NOVELL1 Backup Queue.OU=servers.O=resources.T=DOM

Job completion status says:

Job ended: Thursday, July 12, 2006 at 4:48:55 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33928

Where am i going wrong? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Dheeraj.

criley
Employee Accredited
You should be excluding the admin account under the organization (.admin.resources).

Also, you still haven't excluded the Backup Exec objects:

CN=Backup_Exec.OU.....
CN=BkupExec_ServerName....

More info here: http://support.veritas.com/docs/188705

You should also use the same version of TSANDS.NLM that was used for the backup. Double check this on both servers by typing MODULES TSANDS at the server console.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Dheeeraj,

Do update us after trying steps..

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Dheeraj_MS
Level 3
I'll be updating you all for sure. Problem is, getting some downtime if i have to update the Netware agent on the live server from where i'm taking NDS backup. I should be able to post back the results by the end of next week.

Thank you,
Dheeraj.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Dheeraj,

Awaiting updates from you ... revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Dheeraj_MS
Level 3
1. I've downgraded the version of Netware agent on the test server to the version on the live server from where i've taken NDS backup.

2. I'm excluding,

.CN=admin.OU=SERVERS.O=RESOURCES.T=DOM
.CN=ADMIN_DOM_NOVELL1.OU=SERVERS.O=RESOURCES.T=DOM

from my restore tree. But, how come i'm not seeing,

.CN=Backup_Exec.OU...
.CN=BkupExec_DOM...

that is, Backup Exec related Objects in the tree? Any basic step i'm missing? Please let me know.

Thank you,

criley
Employee Accredited
Are you sure that you are looking in the right container? Those objects should be in the same container as the server object.

Dheeraj_MS
Level 3
Yup, i'm looking for those Backup Exec Objects under .servers.resources. I guess it should be along with the following entries:

.CN=admin.OU=SERVERS.O=RESOURCES.T=DOM
.CN=ADMIN_DOM_NOVELL1.OU=SERVERS.O=RESOURCES.T=DOM

I read that BACKUP_EXEC account will get created when BESTART is initiated, or should i create it manually?

I'm testing this on a parallel setup.

Thank you.

criley
Employee Accredited
No, it should get created automatically.

I'm not sure why you aren't seeing those objects - perhaps you need to browse each container to see where they are. Failing that, I think you will probably need to open up a case with Symantec to get this resolved.

criley
Employee Accredited
No, those objects should get created automatically.

Perhaps you should browse through each container to see if you can find them..

Failing that, I'd suggest that you open a case with Symantec to get this resolved.

criley
Employee Accredited
No, those objects should get created automatically.

Perhaps you should browse through each container to see if you can find them..

Failing that, I'd suggest that you open a case with Symantec to get this resolved.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

Thank You