Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New HP DDS4 drive / Adaptec 160..SCSI - compression issue

Tony_Morrissey
Level 4
Hi

- HP StorageWorks DAT 40 (DDS4)
- Veritas 9.1 with SP3 applied - reads 9.1 4691
- Hardware compression enables on device.
- Ditto the backup job, software not enabled.

- Backup job indicates using hadware compression.
- Using Veritas tape drivers backup asks for new tape at approx 21.7Gb of which an additional 300Mb is written on the second tape.
- 3 Mbs transfer rate (shoudn't this be around 6Mbps when hw comp. enabled?)
- HP StorageWorks indicates compression operational at 2.23-1 against test file (optimised for 2-1 compression). Therefore hardware looks good.
- Adaptec card throttled back to 10Mbps transfer from previous 160Mbs default, made no difference.

- Previous installation of BExec v8.5 removed apart from historical jobs as part of 9.1 install.

I would expect about 30Gb to get onto the tape, I don't expect a 2-1 compression ratio. Data backed up is the file server, therefore .DOC's, IT Library .exe's etc.

- My next test is to revert to using the HP driver. Server will be rebooted this evening to activate HP NT4 OS driver. Will update on result.

However if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I think some of my hair just fell out...:-)

Regards

Tony
6 REPLIES 6

Tony_Morrissey
Level 4
Update: OS is NT4 SP6.

Tony_Morrissey
Level 4
HP NT4 OS Driver did not work!
Also, I've ran Veritas dignostics and noticed that my product is counting down on evaluation days. It has a serial number registered in for backup exec server and from help about it says it's registered......most unsual....

- I originally had v8.5 installed, uninstalled this leaving job data behind.
- Installed v8.6 as evaluation.
- Installed v9.1and registered in serial numbers for server.

Message was edited by:
Tony MorrisseyMessage was edited by:
Tony Morrissey

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

It seems that you are using BE 9.1.
currently what drivers are installed for the device?

please check whether the device is "tested" in the list below, if yes then please install latest veritas drivers from the link below:

HCL for Robotic library:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/271383

HCL for stand alone drives:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/271382

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 - Device Driver Installer (20050115) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only) http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273853.htm

If not tested then please install latest manufacturers and then verify the result.

Also please check the device configuration with the help of the technote below:

How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Tony_Morrissey
Level 4
Thanks for the info Sharvari. Just to clarify, are you saying SP3 isn't installed and why would this be the case after I ran through the be4691RSP3_278302.exe / rebooted? May it have something to do with the evaluation countdown (even though I've fed in license keys which are active) or is this a red herring (should I expect this?).

I didn't apply tape driver updates because I made the assumption SP3 was active, and would have included latest drivers? Should I see a 9.1 SP3 or 9.3 or something in help about?

To confirm the tape drive is:
- HP StorageWorks DAT 40 SCSI HP^^^^^^C5683A SCSI 4mm Tested by Veritas.
- I've used the Veritas drivers post my SP3 update which I hope has taken, backups still didn't compress.
- I've tested native OS drivers removing all Veritas drivers. NT4 OS driver are HP 4mm DDS DAT Driver dowloaded within last couple of days, compatible for the storageworks drive.
- The firmware is HP's latest 3C05 despite the fw not being update by HP for a couple of years.

Will update on result when I've applied your recommended tape driver update SP / reactiveted Veritas drivers.

Regards

Tony

Tony_Morrissey
Level 4
Hi Sharvari

To confirm the tape drive is:
- HP StorageWorks DAT 40 SCSI HP^^^^^^C5683A SCSI 4mm Tested by Veritas.
- I've used the Veritas drivers post my SP3 update which I hope has taken, backups still didn't compress.
- I've tested native OS drivers removing all Veritas drivers. NT4 OS driver are HP 4mm DDS DAT Driver dowloaded within last couple of days, compatible for the storageworks drive.
- The firmware is HP's latest 3C05 despite the fw not being update by HP for a couple of years.

In addition I've insalled your recommended tape driver pack, this made no difference to the amount backed up to tape.

I now have a call registered with Veritas: Case ID 240-134-841 - Mohit Bahl. Although initial communication he thinks it's a hardware issue.

It may take some convincing to get HP to swap the drive as their diagnostic software indiacte 2.23-1 compression ratio, against their optimised compression test file.

NOTE: I still don't understand why I have a evaluation countdown in the diagnostic log (generated from Veritas menu). Also in help about should it say SP3?

Regards

Tony

Tony_Morrissey
Level 4
Hi folks.

To anyone who searches these archives, this may be of use.

The HP diagnostic compression test gave a successful pass result. However after shipping the logs to HP they have confirmed to me the drive is faulty. So never trust a diagnostic result at face value if your gut instinct tells you there's something not right.

Bye