cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Restore Job vs Restore Wizard - Where are the files?

Rob_Muller
Level 4
I realize this is probably extremely basic for using Backup Exec, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

So my daily backup backs up some files, the system state, and the exchange store on my SBS03 server. When I click on "New Restore Job" it takes me to "Restore Job Properties" , at Source -> Selections. But under View by Media or View by Resource, I cannot find anything to restore other than the exchange stores. What gives? When I select Restore Job Wizard, I can find all the files I need. I've looked over the device, and messed with teh options looking for wathever I can to find the files to restore, but they aren't there. What am I missing?
7 REPLIES 7

jwcooper
Level 4
Make sure you are looking at the correct dates.  "Backup beginning date" should be far enough back to catch the backup your looking to restore from.

Are you showing any drive letters under the server?  Are you sure that the files are not failing to backup in the main backup job?

Rob_Muller
Level 4
Thanks for replying so fast.

Yeah, the dates go far enough back. I have it set to last monday, and we do a daily backup every weekday, so it should pick up SOMETHING besides just the exchange store.

In View by Resource, it does list drive letters under the server, but none of them have anything listed. In fact, when i select them, under Backup Date it simply says "none". I'm sure the files didn't fail backup, because the status' all say good, and because when I run the wizard they all show up just fine.

It lists out all the things that ARE backed up, but none of them are seletable or have anything listed to restore, except teh Microsoft Information Store with our mailboxes.

jwcooper
Level 4
Wow you got me then.  At this point I would point to a db issue.

I suppose you could try doing some db checks in beutility

%programfiles%\symantec\backup exec\beutility.exe

From there you can find your server under "All media servers"

Right clicking on your server will bring up a dialog.

From this you can choose check consistency, compact, rebuild indices, repair.

**** Make sure you have a backup of your db before doing these****

Even though those procedures shouldn't mess up your db, I would recommend having a backup.

Rob_Muller
Level 4
How ironic, I'll need a backup to fix my backup software.... haha.

Well, I'll see if anyone has any other suggestions and then we'll see where we want to go from there. it's not like it's a major issue, since we can still use the wizard to find the files that need restoring. But it is worrisome.

jwcooper
Level 4
Well actually to backup the database just copy the backup file that bexec makes of the db.

You can find it here:
%programfiles%\symantec\backup exec\data\bedb.bak

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Is/ Are  you jobs Overwrite or Append?
What is the Global overwrite protection from Tools]Options\Media Management?
What is the OPP of the media set you are using?

Sounds almost like you may be writing all your backups to the same media, and thus have only the latest one availalble for restore

Rob_Muller
Level 4
  1. The jobs are set to Overwrite
  2. Partial, with the "prompt before overwriting imported media" selection checked.
  3. OPP is set to "None - Allow Overwrite"