cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Tape loader...different size available

EvanNY
Level 4

I am using BE 12.5 with a Dell Power Vault 124t.  We had just replaced our tape loader with a the same model from warranty replacement.

For some reason now my tapes are showing me 745gb;  the previous unit used to show them as 831gb.

We are using the same tapes.  All procedures are done the same way.  The only difference i can see is the internal drive on the loader is an IBM, when it used to be a Quantum.

Any ideas why this is?

Thanks for any help you maybe able to provide!! 

Happy New Year!!!!

-Evan

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Evan,

Open up BE and run the Device Configuration Wizard to reinstall the Symantec drivers.

Post back with the results.

Laters!

SaurabhK
Level 4
Employee

Hello Evan,

The reason is how your drive is read in the autoloader, the name differs buy make. Focusing on the issue with capacity, it totally depends on the hardware or your drive necessarily.

Try this:

1) Install Symantec Drivers post "Liveupdate" using "Tapeinst.exe" from C:\Program Files\Symatec\Backup Exec

2) Uninstall the device from device manager and reboot the server, it will pick the OEM drivers,  now check in BE what the total capacity says.

Total format capacity, and total compressed capacity will differ from tape to tape and drive to drive. Backup Exec has limited or minimum control over this.

Eg: 200-400GB tapes mean 200 GB Native capacity and 400 GB compressed, not all drives shall give you 400, some may cap at 350 GB too for instance.

Confirm are you using 400 native and 800 compressed tapes? if yes, thenn the above is your issue, consider calling you hardware vendor for further support on compression.

I would love to supplement articles for you, but the above is as easy as it gets.

Let me know if you need any more info or mark this as solution if it answers your query!

Thank You!

EvanNY
Level 4

We are using the latest Symantec drivers.

We are actually using 800/1600 LTO4 tapes. 

I will try and reinstall the drivers, and report back.

EvanNY
Level 4

i just removed from device mgr, reinstalled with tapeinst.

everything is the same.  no changes.

i will just have to deal with it i think.

CraigV

...it could simply be the way that the drive is seeing the tapes with native (raw) capacity. As long as you're able to write the same amount of data to the same number of tapes as before, this won't be an issue...

SaurabhK
Level 4
Employee

Evan, try this, right click on one of the tapes and run a long erase, on another tape, try the format option, I still believe you should check with your hardware vendor. You may want to stop all BE services, enable and start "Removable Storage" service and check how NTBACKUP see's the tapes. Be sure to disable the removable storage service after testing. This is best of effort with BE.

Hope this resolves your query.

SaurabhK
Level 4
Employee

Hello Evan, any news on this? If the issue is resolved, please mark this as solved.

EvanNY
Level 4

I will try this shortly.  I will post my results.

Thanks for the suggestions.

EvanNY
Level 4

this did not help

CraigV

Hi Evan,

I have escalated to support for you!

Thanks...