cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation of Backup Exec 2010 keeping previous BEDB database

Mioman
Level 2
Dear all,

I have/had the Backup Exec 2010 software installed on a Iomega Windows 2003 Storage Server to back up all data on this storage server to a HP tape library.
The BEDB database is located on a separate MS SQL Server 2005 SP3 environment.

Lately the Iomega server had hard disk issues which caused it to go back to OS factory settings (don't ask me why, I'm trying looking for a more stable server environment as we speak), which forces you to reinstall the OS. Of course the Backup Exec 2010 software has also been removed during this OS reset.

I am now trying to reinstall the Backup Exec 2010 software and I want to keep on using my previous BEDB database which resides on the SQL database Server. But during the installation when I chose the SQL server, I got the following warning, which doesn't allow you to select this server since there already is a BEDB database attached (the one of my previous installation shich I want to use).
I really need this previous database since it contains all catalogs and backup jobs.

What are the best practices to install BE 2010 with an existing BEDB database?

Thanks in advance to you all.

Mioman
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In order to get around this, detach the existing database from the SQL 2008 server. Make sure detach and not drop, because detach wont lose your files. Once detached, keep the existing bedb_dat.mdf and bedb_log.ldf files on the SQL server at a safe location. Once done, start with BE install and this time it would move ahead as there is no existing BEDB on the target SQL instance. Once install is completed, you can replace the new bedb_dat.mdf and bedb_log.ldf, with the ones that you had kept on an alternate location before install. Please make sure you perform this operation only if you are comfortable with SQL, otherwise, you may lose data.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In order to get around this, detach the existing database from the SQL 2008 server. Make sure detach and not drop, because detach wont lose your files. Once detached, keep the existing bedb_dat.mdf and bedb_log.ldf files on the SQL server at a safe location. Once done, start with BE install and this time it would move ahead as there is no existing BEDB on the target SQL instance. Once install is completed, you can replace the new bedb_dat.mdf and bedb_log.ldf, with the ones that you had kept on an alternate location before install. Please make sure you perform this operation only if you are comfortable with SQL, otherwise, you may lose data.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

Mioman
Level 2
Thank you for the quick reply, BEsymc!

If I understand you correctly, this is what I will do:
  • Detach the BEDB database on the SQL Server + back up database .mdf file and log .ldf file.
  • Install BE 2010 again with a new temporary BEDB (.mdf & .ldf file).
  • After installation, stop BE services and detach the new BEDB database.
  • Attach the old, previous BEDB .mdf and .ldf file in SQL Server.
  • Start BE services again.

Is this the correct procedure?
If so, I will begin with it tomorrow morning and I will let you know my experiences.

Regards,

Mioman