cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Backup Exec

PolarDan
Not applicable
Hi Guys & Girls,

I am just taken over a network using Backup Exec, but I can never used it before... Can someone answer my questions please

Do I have to Inventory the tapes every time i change them??? If so how???

I am working remotely, How can I set up e-mail Alerts that come to my external address not the Internal Admin account???

Any Help Greatly Appreciated

Thanks In Advance

Dan

P.S. I am using Backup Exec 12.5 with a Tape Autoloader...
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Do I have to Inventory the tapes every time i change them??? If so how???

yes.  it is the only way to tell BackupExec what tape is in what slot/drive   to do this, go to the Devices tab, right click the drive/slot and select inventory

if you are using Bar Codes, select SCAN instead

How can I set up e-mail Alerts that come to my external address not the Internal Admin account???

See the Admin Guide, page 591

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner
Polardan

The admin guide page given above is good enough for you to check SMTP configuration which you need. However, before you cresate rules that send SMTP mail, you must specify the settings for the SMTP account that sends mail.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
...following on from what Ken said about inventorying, I've set up automatic inventory jobs on all my sites. We use either 1/8 HP autoloaders, or MSL2024s. I set the job to run on a MOnday at 5PM, which is an hour before the start of the backup cycle.
That is possible, and if you ever need to run an inventory manually, you'd simply go into the Job MOnitor tab, right-click it, and choose Run Now.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I don't understand why you need to run an inventory job regularly.  I am using a MSL2024.  I only need to run an inventory job after I put barcode labels onto my tapes.  After that, I only need to do a scan when I put the tapes coming back from off-site into the magazines directly.  When I import a tape from the mailslot, it is recognised immediately without a need for a scan.

Inventory takes much longer than a scan because the tape is loaded into the tape drive and the internal tape label is read.  The barcode labels provide sufficient information for the tape to be recognised.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
It's Africa man...not all the sites have labels at the moment...hence the scan.
I don't bother doing it on MSL2024s as the tapes are hardly changed.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Creating barcode labels is easy.  All you need is a sheet of adhesive labels, Word and a freeware barcode generating program.  The most difficult part is sizing the barcode.  If you need instructions, let me know.