cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user needs help

Robert_Masteron
Level 2
I have a Dell tape library that I have partitioned into multiple partitions using BackupExec 10d. I would like to assign a specific tape to each partition and create a backup job that will use that partition (and therefore use that specific tape) For example, on Monday I want to use tape 1, Tuesday tape 2...I then go to a monthly tape (January uses tape 10) that at the end of the month I would export the tape and store offsite and subsequently bring back at a later date to be reused for the next January backup.

My problem; I can't find a way to tell a partition to use a specific tape or assign a specific tape to a partitions slot. OR, am I going about this all wrong and there is a much better way to do this.
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Partitions consist of one or more slots

If the partition consists of only one slot, what ever tape is mounted in that slot is the only tape that BackupExec will look at as long as the job specifies the target of the backup as the partition rather than the library as a whole or "All Pools"Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Robert_Masteron
Level 2
How do I get a specific tape into a a slot on a specific partition? Right now, after importing a tape BE seems to have mounted that tape into a different partition then what I want. I guess I need to know if I can move the tape from one partition to another partition. (and how do I do it)

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When you do the Import, you ought to be able to specify the slot into which you want the tape placed.

after importing a tape BE seems to have mounted that tape into a different partition then what I want

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Partitions are defined as one or more slots in the library. If you import a tape into slot 5 for example, it is, by definition, in the partition that contains slot 5

Robert_Masteron
Level 2
Hi Ken,
After reading your comments I revisited the tape import procedure and found a working method, but it differes a bit from your description. FYI here it is:
-insert tape in a Dell ML6010 IE slot
-when prompted, pick Library 1 on the ML6010 LDC screen
-at BE 10d go to Devices\Robotic Librarys and pick the desired partition/slot. right-click and select import, run now
-at the BE 10d Job Monitor the import job gives an alert asking to put media into portal. I then go to the Alerts tab and click OK to the alert, dismissing it.

At this point the import job will continue and put the tape into the desired slot

I don't know if this is the correct/approved/preferred method, but it seems to work.

Anyway thanks for the help

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
As the issue is resolved marking this post as answered.