Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Appendable media could be mounted

Ken_Robinson
Level 3
I ran a backup job and when it finished with slot 1 I got this alert

No appendable media could be mounted
Switching to overwrite operation on scratch media.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong..
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmmm

append normally only applies to the first tape volume of a backup job. the second through xx tape volumes come from the scratch pool.

Did anything at all get backed up to the first tape?

If not, remember that in Veritas Speak, in order to be appendable, a tape volume must have an active backupset on it, be in the same media set as the job specifies, and be within the APP defined for the media set.

Also, remember that APP is calculated from the opening of the first backup set on the tape while OPP is calculated from the time the last backup set is closed.

Ken_Robinson
Level 3
Yes the first tape in slot 1 finished fine but instead of going to 2nd slot I got the error. Backup exec did start another job on hold and when I took off hold it started writing to second tape.......

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Probably doesn't have much impact, but what version and build are you running?

Ken_Robinson
Level 3
I am running v 8.60 rev 3808

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I doubt that it will make a difference, but have you considered the last v8.6 build - 3878? http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/241035.htm

Again, only the first volume of a backup set should look for an appendable volume, the rest look for scratch.

Just for grins, try setting the job to "Append - Else Overwrite" rather than "Append - Else Cancel" and see what happens