cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Mover Available - Job Canceled

Christie_Crawfo
Level 2
We're using BE 9.1 Build 4691 on Windows 2000 Server.

For the past 2 weeks, our scheduled backup has been failing with error 'Job canceled by system user'. The job started at 11pm would normally finished at around 5:30AM. But at 3:30am, just before it backed up the last folder the job was canceled. It also has the 'no mover available...' error.
The alert setting has the 'Media Insert' alert to automatically clear after 1 minute. It seems like there was no tape inserted in the drive to finish the backup. However, it managed to backup all other files/folders as assigned and the tape was already ejected when I return work the next morning.

I have tried disabling and removing the device from BE, rebooted server, reinstall device using the Device Configuration Wizard plus the driver, then reboot. This unfortunately didn't resolve the issue. However I haven't tried uninstalling/reinstalling from the Windows Device Manager since it has no problem backing up all other files.

At this point I'm not sure if the problem was caused by the folder or BE. When I attempt to restore, there's a red X mark on the folder that BE didn't finish the backup. In the properties of that folder, its status shows 'folder may contain corrupt file'. That is a SQL file and our nightly DBCC check that checks for file corruption does not indicate any error.

I'm lost...please help.
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

What is the amount of data being backed up? What is the available capacity on the tape? You have mentioned that the device gets ejected at night and the job is cancelled in the morning. If you check in the alerts tab in backup exec, do you get any alerts to insert overwriteable media there?

Check in the job properites tab ,priority and availability tab if you have enabled automatic cancellation or not. If not, it will take the default and the job will be cancelled after 3 hours of wait. You can enable this option and increase the cancellation time period here.

Revert with details if the issue persists.

Christie_Crawfo
Level 2
thanks for your reply.

Here is what we have done and discovered so far:
* we de-selected the folder that it couldn't back up and the overnight backup completed with 100% success rate.

*in the alert setting, 'Job Cancellation' alert does not allow selection of 'Automatically clear alert after xx min'. This option is grayed out.

*we use 36/72GB DDS4 tape. Total backup size was 41GB (without the problematic folder). It used to be able to backup 47GB (with that folder)

*we use Hardware Compress method.

*with a successful backup, the Media tab shows '4MM....Infinite- append allowed'. If the backup failed, it shows 'not appendable'.

*we have verified that Remote Agent is installed properly and the service is started. (this problematic is located on a separate server machine). There is no networking problem between 2 machines.

Thanks again.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

The folder which is giving error what type of files are there?

Thanks,

Christie_Crawfo
Level 2
the folder consists of a SQL database and all of the related backup (SQL backup) routine and maintenance files. We used to be able to backup everything in this folder until now. BE does not indicate that there is a corrupted file but it'd stop whenever it attempts to backup this folder (log shows that the job cancelled and 'error reading data' with the name of the folder listed).

thanks.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Check whether you can run the same job to a Backup to Disk folder?

Just to make sure that its not a compression problem- Do other backups which are of same size as this specific job- run smoothly on this tape device?

What if you run an individual job- as a test- to backup just the SQL files?

Is this backup successful?

Regards
Padmaja