cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Sure What Agent/Option to Buy

Shelley
Level 2
We just upgraded from Backup Exec 8.6 to 11d due to a server upgrade.  I am know unable to connect to individual users computers when setting up the nightly backup job.  Backup Exec sees them; however, I get a dialog boxes telling me I need "another" agent to perform this process.  I am a little uncertain what else exactly I need to do this.  It appears the Desktop/Laptop Option is what I need.  This was not necessary in 8.6.  Can anyone help?

Thank you,
Shelley
6 REPLIES 6

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
If you just want to do overnight backups, I believe you can backup desktops normally using an agent which is included (i.e. not a cost option).

Shelley
Level 2
Thanks for the reply!  Yes, I just want to do overnight backups.  Do you happen to know what agent I should be looking for in Backup Exec?   This software does a whole lot more than is necessary for a small organization like ours, so this is all very confusing.

Thanks again,
Shelley

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Well what do you know? RAWS used to be Remote Agent for Windows Servers. Now it's Remote Agent for Windows Systems. I.e. you need RAWS (which is a licensed option) for backing up Windows XP/2000/2003 systems. Smiley Sad
If you have Windows 98 or ME then there are non-licensed agents for use with them.

Shelley
Level 2
Well, what I do know is that I don't want to need a degree in Backup Exec software to figure out how to use the new version or spend a fortune for all the extra options to make the software work like it should in the first place.  Yes, we have the Remote Agent for Windows Systems; however, I don't believe it was necessary with 8.6 to install on all machines in our office only the other servers.  It must be now.  I think I have identified what I need to do, if not I will look elsewhere.

Thank you.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As of v9.0, Backup Exec will not connect to a server OS machine unless at least one RAWS serial is installed and the RemoteAgent service is installed and running on the remote system

It will connect to a Workstation OS machine without the serial, but you still need the RAWS installed and running on the remote machine

Shelley
Level 2
Ken,

Thank you very much!  That's exactly what I needed to know.  I had pretty much figured that out after hours of digging around the internet and reading help files; however, it's good to have confirmation of my suspicions.  A lot has changed from V8.6 and v11d does a lot more than we really need, so I have some catching up to do.

Thanks again,

Shelley