cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not all mailboxes showing in Information Store restore

SockMonster
Level 3
Hi,

I have a couple of problems with my Exchange backups. If I fix one of them, the other one will probably be irrelevant.

At the moment when I backup the Information Store it completes without errors, but when I go to restore messages not all the mailboxes are shown. As one of the missing mailboxes belongs to our MD you can imagine that this is a problem.

After reading through the topics on this forum, I have tried everything I can find including adding my backup user account to the Exchange Full Admins group but it hasn't made any difference.

The other issue I have is that when I backup the Exchange Mailboxes (legacy method, which I need to do to restore individual messages at the moment) I get a large number of "Access Denied" errors on specific email messages. These messages are spread across numerous mailboxes and don't seem to fall into any pattern.

So to this end, I don't seem to have a complete backup of the Exchange mailboxes, and the backup job "fails" every night due to the Access Denied errors.

I am using Exchange 2003 and Backup Exec 11d on Windows Server 2003.

Any help you could give would be much appreciated.

Si
4 REPLIES 4

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
First off, all the mailboxes are being backed up, they are just not showing up in the catalog.  If you were to restore the information store to a Recovery Storage Group you would be able to find the user you are looking for in that store.

But as to the issue you are having.

What revision of BE11d are you running and what patches do you have installed? (check this from Help - About)

Are you backing up to tape or to disk?

If you have updated BE, did you also update the remote agent on the Exchange server if it is remote?

SockMonster
Level 3
Patch level is 6235 SP2.

I'm backing up to AIT, and the Exchange server is on the same server as Backup Exec.

So is there any way to recover one of the non-listed mailboxes without restoring the whole store?

Thanks

Si

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Since you are backing up to a tape drive you would have to stage the entire information store on disk to restore a single mailbox. If you were backing up to disk you would not have to worry about this.

To restore one of the unlisted mailboxes you would need to recover the information store to a RSG then use exmerge to pull the data to either the live store or a PST file.

Now going back to the tape drive, since this is your backup device both restore options I just mentioned will tape about the same amount of time.

Now with your revision and patch level you are a bit behind the curve.  The current rev is 7170.  You may want to think about upgrading to the latest revision as it is a free upgrade for you.  You can download the new rev from either fileconnect.symantec.com or backupexec.com

Sharon_Boggs
Not applicable
Just wondering if you ever got this resolved.  I have the same problem and have had a ticket open with Microsoft and Symantec.  No luck.
I am going to try a backup to disk just to see if I can get a backup to have on hand.