cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OFO

Sanjeev_Popat
Level 3
When I try to take backup with OFO I get following error message.
OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\HO_APP\H:". Advanced Open File Option used: Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
OFO: Volume specified is not snappable. Possible reasons: Not a fixed drive, or contains an active cache file or does not have a valid source or is write protected.

What could be the reson. This disk is dynamic disk under Windows 2000.
3 REPLIES 3

Alex_Tetyukhin
Level 4
Check this up:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/257796.htm

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
Technote suggesteb by ALEX is absolutely correct. I would just like to add "Dont forgot to re-boot the system" to get rid of this error.

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
The deadlock may be caused by defragmenter's, scandisks or anti-virus programs running in the background, anything that causes excessive hard disk activity, or a filter driver operating at the kernel level on the server being backed. A filter driver, in this context, is a kernel-level driver that can intercept disk reads or writes, and perform some activity on that data. Since the Open File Option is also a filter driver, when there is more than one present, they can interfere with each other.
The following are some recommendations which can be carried out to resolve the issue:
1. Make sure an anti-virus program is not running a scan at the same time the backup is running.
2. Make sure that a defragmentation program is not running at the same time the backup is running.
3. Look for unnecessary third party services running on the target server.
4. Anti-virus auto-protect features can also cause this problem, disable auto-protect, or upgrade to the latest available version of anti-virus software.
5. As a workaround: Lower static volume size (initial and maximum) as low as possible while still allowing for a successful backup by going through the Open Files Option Wizard available under the tools menu. Lowering the static volume size may allow for lower disk I/O which may avoid this error.
This issue may also occur if a realtime virus scanner is trying to lock the snapshot volume.

Increase the Initial Static Volume size and let the static volume path assigned to a drive which has sufficiently free space.
Refer to below given steps.
1. Open the Backup Exec Application and select Tools --> Wizards
-->Select AOFO Wizard --> Next
2. Type in the password and select Next 3. Remove the check box for "Use Default".
4. Type in a volume with the most free space.
5. Uncheck the 'Have Backup Exec calculate the initial and maximum size of the static volume'.Change the initial size of the static volume to 5.Change the Max size that the static volume can grow to 25.
6. Create a new backup job and perform the backup.
------------------------------------------------------------------------