cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Backup Behavior

John_Croson
Level 2
I have BUE v10 running on a Win2k Server with a Tandberg SLR60 Tape Drive. According tothe manufacturer, this has a 30gb native, or 60gb compressed capacity.

BE seems to recognise this, and shows the media as having max capacities of around 58gb per tape.

The issue is that my backups are growing to about 63gb, and I am not being prompted to insert a new tape, and the backups are showing as being 100% complete. They are also set to verify, and are not failing this.

My glass is quite full...
3 REPLIES 3

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Compression ratios are not set in stone and vary on a file-by-file basis. Most tape manufactuers use a 2:1 compression ration as an average. Some files are incapable of being compressed (*.mp3, *.jpg) while some files can be compressed at better than 2:1. I recently backed up some large VMWare files and got 6:1 compression!

To estimate when your "glass will overflow" look at the compression ratio on a full backup media (found when clicking on properties of the media just below the pie chart).

For example, if your compression ratio of your full backup indicates 2.25:1, then it can be estimated that you can backup 67.5GB on one tape.

John_Croson
Level 2
Thanks for the explanation. Does that mean that the byte count in Job Monitor is the size of the data in it's uncompressed form?

If so, weeee! My compression ratio is 1.12:1, which gives me about 51gb on tape.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

You can alos refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/199542

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.