cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline Drive

Shahin
Level 6

Hi,

We have a Dell PowerVault 124T Library that almost 3 month ago the drive after 4 years working gave up and we ask the Dell to replace the drive, after dat in the BE console we can see 2 Dell devices, one is offline and second one had to be re partition and move all the jobs from the defect device to the new device.now we already 2 month using the new drive for our backups.

Now we want to upgrae the BE but I think the first thing we should remove the offline drive, so when we try to remove the offline drive see this:

offline Drive.JPG

should we goahead and choose yes? if I go to the jobsetup tab also I see some old jobs that still points to the offline drive should we remove the first from there and then delete the offline drive?

backupjobs.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, you can remove them first and then the drive.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Just retarget the existing jobs/partitions to drives that already exist.

Shahin
Level 6

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the reply,

We did already retarget the back-up jobs and they are already running. As I said we want to upgrade to BE15 and I think we should remove the offline drive. but when try to remove it get message that you see in th the second screenshot.

in the job setup I see the once ren jobs that points to the offline Drive Dell 0001 still there. but as you see in the screenshot it ask if we want to retarget the e.g. Catalog 00025 destanation Dell001 (0003.0003). if I choose yes then get do you want Catalog0026.

so what is the Job Catalog 00025? should we from drop down menu choose Dell 0002 (0003.0003)?

Dell001_0.JPG

CraigV

Choose whichever slot or device you need. If it is a Catalog job, you can also look at deleting that particular job and then trying this again.

Thanks!

Shahin
Level 6

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the update,

I dont know which job is this! where can I find it and delete it?

VJware
Level 6

Check for the Catalog job under Job Setup tab.

Also, the screenshot shows retarget 1 of 16 jobs. Retarged the jobs to "All Devices" and then you would be able to delete the offline drive.

Shahin
Level 6

Hi Vj,

That is the problem in the job setup tab I cannot find any entry regarding Catalog, so where are this jobs?

VJware
Level 6

Are you able to find this job under "Job Monitor" tab ? Do ensure the filter is set to use All Jobs.

Shahin
Level 6

I did check the job monitor there is no job regarding the catalog, only if retarget one  1-16 jobs in my perovius screenshot then they come in the job monitor,

Job monitor:

jobs_1.JPG

CraigV

If those partitions and drives no longer exist just retarget the  jobs accordingly.

Alternatively, there is a wizard within BE that allows you to remove the old drive. It was the Device Configuration Wizard within BE 2010 R3.

Thanks!

Shahin
Level 6

Thanks for the update,

You said retarget the jobs, I did retarget some of the jobs and after retargeting them I see them in the job Monitor, and  I have no idea what are these catalog jobs!! could it be that in past we did run catolog tapes and that is why must be redirected? one thing is sure and that is we never shcdule catolog also after retargting those catologe jobs can I remove them from the job monitor?

Update:

ok now I can those catolog jobs  and othere backup jobs at job setup can I first remove them from here and then delete the old drive?

VJware
Level 6

Yes, you can remove them first and then the drive.

Shahin
Level 6

Thank you all,

I did remove the jobs and after removed the offline drive. now I can go ahead with second step and upgrading to BE 15

Thanks