cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline Machines

create_share
Level 6
Hi!

If at the backup time some users machines are offline and the Schedule Backup Job runs then will Backup Exec 2010 take the backup of all online machines or stop at reaching the first offline machine and skip all the machines after that regardless of their status?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tech29
Level 6
Hi,

Backup exec will backup all the online machines to which backup exec was able to connect and will skip backups of the offline machines.

so, Backup Exec won't stop taking backup if it finds a offline machine, it will continue backing up other online machines.

hope this answers your question.

Regards,
tech29.

Please mark this as solution if this reoslves your issue.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

tech29
Level 6
Hi,

Backup exec will backup all the online machines to which backup exec was able to connect and will skip backups of the offline machines.

so, Backup Exec won't stop taking backup if it finds a offline machine, it will continue backing up other online machines.

hope this answers your question.

Regards,
tech29.

Please mark this as solution if this reoslves your issue.

create_share
Level 6
Thanks!

teiva-boy
Level 6
You should make individual jobs for all machines.  This way you know immediately which jobs failed, and not just a main job with multiple hosts in it.  It's a good practice to do this, a recommended practice by some experts in the field, and something I've been getting used to for a while now, and liking thus far.  Of course you need a good naming convention too, so you know what is what.

Later you can run just the individual host job, and not the whole bunch, if you were to gather statistics on pass vs failure, doing it my way, you'll have a better success rate in terms of percentage.  Auditors love this, as do managers. ;)

create_share
Level 6
How many jobs are recommended at one time?

teiva-boy
Level 6
You can have as many as you want, depending on your target, i.e. disk or tape; there is no limit that I am aware of.

For Tape, it's a single job to a single tape, other jobs will queue until the tape is available.  Of course the jobs can append to the same tape if it's not full.  Add multiple tape drives to have more concurrent jobs.

Or go to disk.  You can have multiple concurrent jobs to disk, but the rule of thumb is X amount of concurrent jobs should = the amount of spindles you are saving to.  
If you have faster disk in a RAID array, this can change, but you have to test and verify.  You can always duplicate from disk to tape after the fact.  The backup is done and on disk, so however long it takes to get to tape is moot.  

If you use deduplication in BackupExec, you can store backup's to disk in a given amount of space than without.