cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Backup Exec (2010) Agent Write Error

Sabir_VKD
Level 3

Dears

I am getting below error when trying to start the backup of Oracle database.

Oracle Database is 11g in stalled on Windows Server 2008 R2  and Backup Server is Backup Exec 2010 (SP 1) installed on Windows Server 2003 32 bit.

I pushed the agent without any problem but when I am trying to confiugre the agent the ORCL instance was not saving up in the Oracle tab,
So I started to uninstall andn reinstall the agent but in between it gaves me error that no permission to some of the Keys under HKLM-Software-Symantec.

Then I gave a full permission for my domain administrator account for the key and subkeys under the HKLM-Software-Symantec. Then I was successfully able to add the oracle instance. I also configured the backup job selecting the database and required log file. When I run a test-job it went successfully.

But when I start the job it gaves me the below error.

The Backup Exec Oracle Agent encountered a write error.. If the disk is write protected, database scripts for the job cannot be created. Make sure that the disk is not write-protected.

Please let me know any solution for this error. Is this anything realted to permission issue. Do I need to reinstall the agent again.
Is there any compatability issues with the software versions.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

firstly run LiveUpdate to install the latest SP for BE 2010 R3...you're not current on that. once done, run LiveUpdate again and update with any subsequent patches.

Then push-install these updates out to your remote servers. Refer to the TN below as well:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH185694

Thanks!

View solution in original post

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try couple of things ~

1) Possibly credentials. Follow these steps:-

1. Open the Backup Job properties and select the Resource Credentials.
2. Select Oracle resource click on tab Change.
4. The account being used will be highlighted automatically.
5. Make a note of the corresponding "User name" column.
6. Open Computer Manager on the Oracle server and navigate to "Local Users and Groups"
7. Add the user name to the local administrators group.
8. If the Oracle server is a Domain Controller, then add the User to the "Domain Admins" group using "Active Directory Users and Computers".

2) If the above doesn't help, then check if there is a folder named "dbagents" under these paths or not:-
  • X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs (64-bit Backup Exec Media server)
  • X:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs (32-bit Backup Exec Media server)
  • X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\Logs (64-bit Remote Agent)
  • X:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\Logs (32-bit Remote Agent)

If not, create a folder named dbagents, and rerun the backup

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

firstly run LiveUpdate to install the latest SP for BE 2010 R3...you're not current on that. once done, run LiveUpdate again and update with any subsequent patches.

Then push-install these updates out to your remote servers. Refer to the TN below as well:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH185694

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try couple of things ~

1) Possibly credentials. Follow these steps:-

1. Open the Backup Job properties and select the Resource Credentials.
2. Select Oracle resource click on tab Change.
4. The account being used will be highlighted automatically.
5. Make a note of the corresponding "User name" column.
6. Open Computer Manager on the Oracle server and navigate to "Local Users and Groups"
7. Add the user name to the local administrators group.
8. If the Oracle server is a Domain Controller, then add the User to the "Domain Admins" group using "Active Directory Users and Computers".

2) If the above doesn't help, then check if there is a folder named "dbagents" under these paths or not:-
  • X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs (64-bit Backup Exec Media server)
  • X:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs (32-bit Backup Exec Media server)
  • X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\Logs (64-bit Remote Agent)
  • X:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\Logs (32-bit Remote Agent)

If not, create a folder named dbagents, and rerun the backup

Sabir_VKD
Level 3

VJWare

I checked the points you mentioned. The account wasn't having the local administrator rights, I added it.

The dbagent was present in all specified location. I rerun the backup job but again failed with the same error.

Can I have any other solution. Is it because any other Registry Key access issue.

Sabir_VKD
Level 3

I also noticed when I went to the registry that so any keys under HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows dont have access with domain administrator account. Some of the leys dont have access are as follows:-

Adamm, Agent Browser, DFS Replication under Engine\Agent\ ...

Probably I feel this may be the root cause for the backyp job error. I pused the agent to this server from backupexec job. Do the other way by copying the installation folder from RAW to the remote server will be a better option.

Please help to get rid of this mess. Oracle Server is already configured for archive mode and logs re growing up.

Sabir_VKD
Level 3

VJWare, CraigV

It was basically the permission issue. The backup accoun was not there in the local administrator group. So I removed agent from Oracle serve, then added backup account to to the local administrator account and also into the backup operators groups (Which clearly tells that it will overrid all permission issue for backup and restore job).

Then I did a fresh installation of agent by pushing from the medeiaserver and all went good and started the backup job now.

The serve name in the Oracle-ModifyList is CASE SENSITIVE which was one error I got in between and when I changed the name exactly same resolved in the agent, everything started fine.

Than you all for the support and leads to resolving the issue