cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite/Append settings for B2D2T

Frankie
Level 3
Hi there

We've got a new backup to disk to tape setup and I was wondering how I should setup the overwrite/append settings for the duplicate job to tape. I have a different backup to disk folder for each server and a different backup to disk job for each server. I set them to all start at the same time and once each job finishes the duplicate job I've setup for each takes a copy to tape.

I've set the duplicate jobs to append if possible and then overwrite. With a blank tape the jobs write nicely to the media, what I'm wondering is what happens when tape media with old data is put into the drive? If there is space will the first jobs append to the tape and then ask for a new tape once the tape is full? Do I need to set append periods so that media cannot be appended to after x days. Is this the right was to go about ensuring the tape is overwritten when the first job starts and then the subsequent jobs append to the tape until all jobs have completed and the tape is taken out?

I did think I could kick off a small job first and have that set to overwrite but that didn't seem like ideal practice as what would happen if that job didn't run for some reason?

Thanks for your help
Frank
0 REPLIES 0