cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite/append

Dan_Moya
Level 3
Newbie here, never used Veritas and having problem comprehending Document ID: 237374. I have a member server using a seagate tape drive with Veritas 9.1 for window servers. What i would like to do is a full backup each morning erasing the data already on the tape (ex: monday erasing last mondays stuff). Then in the afternoon a differential would be done for any new data. I have used different combinations and I get a meesage after the full backup appears to be done asking me to insert a overwritable tape and hit OK. Could someone more experiance suggest the right overwrite/ append combination to achieve this goal, thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Make sure that youi second (Diff) job is defined as Append rather than Overwrite, and that it is pointed at the same media set as the first job

Verify that the Append Period for the media set is long enough for the second job to be within the Append period.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Do you want BE (full backup job) to overwrite media each Monday or everyday?

Should the differential job append to the same media or a different media?

How have you configured media set properties?

Additionally refer this technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.