cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE help!! - 0xe0009418 - Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.

lkr0210
Level 3
Hello,

I have recently installed Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers. It is installed on a 2003 server and I am trying to backup two additional servers running Windows 2000.

I get this message (0xe0009418 - Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.) when trying to backup the remote servers.

I have remote licenses installed and the service is running. I have checked the versions between the beremote.exe on the remote servers and the main backup server and they match with version number 11.0.6235.0 - I have deleted previous backup jobs created on the evaluation version and recreated the jobs with no luck. I have tried starting out backing up just one word document on the remote servers with no luck. It ends immediately with the above message. I have also tested the credentials to make sure they are working and they are. I have also rebooted the servers multiple times.

Nothing is working, any help would be GREATLY appreciated as it is imperative I get these servers backed up.

Thank you,

Lynda
12 REPLIES 12

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You say that you have "remote licenses" installed

do you mean that the agent is installed and running on the target machines, or that the serials are installed on the media server (check the BESERNUM.XML in the \data directory to verify)? or both?

lkr0210
Level 3
Hello,

I'm sorry - Both, the licenses are installed on the media server and  the remote agent is running on both of the target machines.

Thanks,

Lynda

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
There is no firewall between the machines is there?

'Fraid I'm out of suggestions at this point

lkr0210
Level 3
Nope, no firewall. The servers sit on the same domain in the same IP subnet.

lkr0210
Level 3
Hey,

I just checked for the besernum.xml in the data directory that you had mentioned earlier and I do not have anything by that name in the data directory or the Backup Exec folder at all.

Could this be my problem?? When I upgraded, I added in the license for Backup Exec 11d and the remote agent licenses, and did the remote agent utility install. Did I forget to do something else or did something possibly not update right? How do I go about getting that file created?

Thanks!!!

Lynda

Michael_Ellis_2
Level 5
I think this is the path for a default installation.

C:\WINDOWS\besernum.xml

lkr0210
Level 3
Okay, I found it there, here is what is in it: (I removed special characters to not be detected as html in this thread)

SerialNumbers
SerialNumber
Name>Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers</Name>
Value>{edit:16 digit number removed}</Value>
SerialNumber>
SerialNumbers>

Does this look correct, or am I missing something?

Message Edited by LakeRat on 12-07-2007 02:13 PM

Michael_Ellis_2
Level 5
You need to install a "Remote Agent" license key.  You only have server installed.

lkr0210
Level 3
Well now I'm confused! When I received my license keys, I did the install license keys and put in my windows server license and the remote agent license (license is good for two servers) - after that was done, I did the remote agent install. Did I do them in the wrong order or forget a step? Will it hurt anything to try and install them again?

Michael_Ellis_2
Level 5
The file you showed me only had one serial number.  Enter the serial number for the remote agent.  It will not cause harm to enter them again.

lkr0210
Level 3
I have no idea what is going on now. When I try to enter in my license key, it tells me it isn't valid. The information I have on my certificate is:

part code - 11053690 SYMC BACKUP EXEC AWS 11D WIN AGENT FOR WINDOWS SYSTEMS INCLUDES AGENT FOR WINDOWS SERVERS AND CPA BNDL VER UG LIC EXPRESS BAND S ESSENTIAL 12 MOS.

This is the order that was put in my my third party vendor (CDW) when I requested 2 licenses for remote backup agent.

I registered the Serial Number on the licensing site the day I ordered it and it gave me a license key starting with 06- ...

Is it possible that CDW ordered the wrong product?? I can't tell from the description.

Michael_Ellis_2
Level 5
You should call the vendor for help.  It almost looks like a support key because of the "12 Month" being mentioned.