cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical Volume Drive not available

AndreyS
Level 4

Hello, when I try to delete a USB hard drive from the Devices Tab in Backup Exec 2010 R3 I get this message:

"Physical Volume Drive not available"

What can be done to remove this USB drive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndreyS
Level 4

Craig, I have figured it out, after running LiveUpdate and installing 3 hot fixes (2 installed successfully on a first try, the 3rd one I had to re-download and re-install on its own) I was able to delete the Device without pausing or rebooting the Backup Exec Server. Thx

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Try pausing the server (Devices --> right-click your server name --> Pause) and then delete the B2D.

Then unpause once done.

Thanks!

AndreyS
Level 4

Thanks for your reply Craig, but that didn't work, still the same error "physical volume library drive not available". The USB hardrive is still listed under Devices Tab as - Disabled (In use), but there are no active jobs running right now.......

CraigV

OK...can you see if it can be enabled?

Otherwise try restarting the server after pausing Backup Exec. Once done, try deleting the B2D.

Thanks!

EDIT: Check the TN below, and just work back in order to re-enable the B2D:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH32551

Thanks!

AndreyS
Level 4

Yes, I have no problems enabling it by right-clicking on the device and selecting "Enable". Also there are no files or any folders on the usb disk.....

CraigV

...when it's enabled can it be deleted?

AndreyS
Level 4

Still the same error Craig, would pausing the Backup Exec server, rebooting windows server and then trying to delete device again be my only option then?

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Andrey, 

Its a long shot but worth a try. Inventory the storage location, once complete enable/disable and try to delete 

AndreyS
Level 4

Donald thank you, I just tried to follow your advice and gor immediately an error:

Inventory Device 00010 -- The job failed with the following error: Library error - invalid element address.

e0008212 - Library error - invalid

any idea what is going on with the device?

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Andrey, 

I dont have a definitive answer as to what is going on in your inability to delete the storage location. I would suggest creating a support case so that we can establish a webex and take a look at exactly what it is that is going on. I will  DM you my contact information and would be happy to work with you in a resolution of this issue. I would need only the created case number to assume ownership.  

AndreyS
Level 4

sounds good, thank you! please go ahead and let me know if you need any additional info from me. thx

AndreyS
Level 4

Craig, I have figured it out, after running LiveUpdate and installing 3 hot fixes (2 installed successfully on a first try, the 3rd one I had to re-download and re-install on its own) I was able to delete the Device without pausing or rebooting the Backup Exec Server. Thx