cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physically changing tape label erases data

Al_Wilson
Level 5
Hello,

We have a set of tapes in use that are non-barcode labelled, and we wish to replace the labels with proper HP bar coded labels in our HP MSL6000 library.

I tried this on 1 tape to test, and now I cannot retrieve any data from it, even after replacing the original label. I tried cataloging with the option to use storage media-based catalogs unticked.

I also tried putting the tape in another MSL6000 library (attached to another server), and it still appeared as a 'blank media'. Catalogued in the same way, and as before the job log reported 'No backup sets found'.

Surely when a physical label is changed it doesn't actually erase all the data? Is there any way to get the data back?

Cheers,
Al.
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yep, re-writting the label (tape header) is essentially the same thing as a quick erase. Once you do it, any data on the tape is irretrevable with standard tools. A data recovery service that has tools that do their own I/O should still be able to get the data back though.

If you have two drives, you could run DUPLICATE jobs for all the tapes that you want to migrate, but that would be a real time consumer

Al_Wilson
Level 5
Damn! Oh well, if I'm duplicating the sets to new tapes, I may as well just use a new set of tapes and ditch the old ones (for later alternative use).

In the meantime, I'll help you along your way to that elusive 'Guru' status :)

Cheers,
Al.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Al,

Could you Update us on the Issue?

Thanks,

Regards