cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible message restore using GRT from tape with DATA in the message body

sly_upah
Level 4
An unusual thing just occurred. I was able to restore using GRT from a tape backup to a service mailbox with data in the body. This is good news, however when i do a infostore backup to tape, i only get half of the users listed on the selection list for restoring. In the forums, there has been repeated discussion on how the legacymailbox address in the AD Schema must match the exchange alias, and in each case on my server, it does. However, only half of the people show up in the list. I am running another restore to make sure that it wasn't a fluke. So, to sum this up, 2 things are happening.

1. I can do an infostore backup to a b2d folder and see every mailbox in the restore selection list, however when i restore, i am unable to get message data from the message.

2. I can do an infostore backup to a tape and see only about half of the mailboxes in the restore selection list, however when i restore i am able to get actual message data.

Again, im restoring another message to make sure that this is in fact the complete case
2 REPLIES 2

sly_upah
Level 4
Yes, this is now confirmed. I am able to restore from tape using GRT to the service mailbox and have message data show up.

sly_upah
Level 4
So now i have it down to this.

1. I can backup to tape, and restore any message using GRT from any of the mailboxes that show up (not all do).

2. I can backup to disk and restore a message using GRT from any of the mailboxes that shows up on the tape backup and it will have the entire message, not just the header.

3. I can backup to disk and restore the headers only of a message using GRT from a mailbox that does not show up when i do a tape backup.

Since the backup account worked in v10 and v9, we have not changed the setup or permissions for the mailbox account since upgrading to 11. I am really wondering if it is a permissions issue or something more that will allow only about half of the mailboxes to be backed up. When i try to do a legacy backup, it usually fails half way through with "access is denied", despite the backup account having exchange admin and mailbox admin privileges.