cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre job commands on UNIX servers from Windows BEXEC

Gavin_Thomas
Level 3
When I try to execute a batch file as a pre job command to shut down Oracle databases on a Linux server I see 'Access Denied' when trying to run the batch file.
If I run the same job without an pre job commands it runs fine. And if I run a job using the same batch file but backing up a Windows server it also runs fine.

We are using BEXEC 9.1 on a Windows 2000 server with UNIX Agents installed. The Linux root account is specified as the Logon Account so we can view and select folders in the Linux environment.
The Remote Agent For Windows service is set to use Local System account.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the pre job batch file trying to run under the root account credentials - correct? Is there any way I can have the batch file execute under the normal Backup Exec logon account and still access the Linux file structure?

Many thanks in advance.
GT
5 REPLIES 5

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

For the moment Oracle on Linux is not supported. Also please specify if you are using legacy Unix agent on the remote machine or the Remote Agent for Windows servers.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Gavin_Thomas
Level 3
Hi,

We're using the legacy Unix agent on the remote machine at the guidance of our the Veritas technical sales department.
We can browse the Linux files and folders no problems, it's just the batch file which is generating problems. Can we not run the batch file in a windows Backup Exec account but have the backup job run under the Linux / UNIX root account?

GT

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you can run the command through a Shell script, you can run it from a Pre/Post command, as long as the BackupExec service account has the necessarey rights on the Linux

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

As informed earlier Backup Exec cannot protect Oracle databases running on UNIX systems. Refer this technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237137

Additionally also refer this document for more information:

Pre and Post commands can not be executed on Unix systems from Backup Exec server.

Title:

URL: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/245844.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Gavin_Thomas
Level 3
I hope pre / post command execution across multiple platforms is something Veritas will introduce soon.
Thanks for input guys.
GT