cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Restoring Exchange 2003 Mailboxes

Beesve
Level 3
Hello,

We're running a Windows Server 2003 with Exchange 2003. We use Veritas Backup Exec for Windows Servers 9.1 with the Exchange agent for our backups. The Exchange backup is set up to backup both individual mailboxes and the information store.
Unfortunately, for a couple of days now, Veritas reports the following errors for the stores:

'Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by another process.
WARNING: "\\VLMAPP01\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (VLMAPP01)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Database or database element is corrupt'

According to the job logs the individual mailboxes are backed up correctly.

However, when I tried to restore a user's mailbox, this morning, there are no messages in the restore selection list for his mailbox.

How can I restore the user's mailbox from the individual mailbox backup?
3 REPLIES 3

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
the error is due to the fact, that you are backing up the Shadow Copy component of your W2003 Exchange 2003 server.

see:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270459.htm

Regards

uz

Beesve
Level 3
Thank you. I have corrected the problem, so I hope future backups will run correctly.

However, I still need to restore the mailbox from the current tape. Anyone got any ideas on how to do that?

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi ,

Please perfoem following steps in order to resolve the issue :

1.Stop Backup Exec Services
2.Rename the Catalog Folder to Catalog.old
3.Start all Backup Exec Services
4.Once inventory the drive and catalog the media.

Please update us on the issue ! Try taking backup of exchange files once again and see whether you can see restore selections !

Hopefully this helps you.

Thank you.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.