Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Verfiying

Ashish_Uttamcha
Level 3
Partner
Hello,

Let me first introduce myself, I am a Sys Engineer for a I.T support company and one of our clients have been experiencing a very odd problem. Our client back-up about 100-120GB of data daily using Veritas Back Exec 10.0, they use an hp ultrium tape drive in a HP ML570 G2 Server.

We have replaced the tape drive, the SCSI controller, reinstalled the tape drive & reinstalled Veritas but this problem still occurs. The problem is, basically when the verify is set ON there is a error always coming up stating "e00084ca - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33994"

I've been to the website and tried everything suggested such as cleaning tape, changing tapes etc but with no success. Some of us have narrowed out the fact that it is a hardware problem as we have replaced basically everything.

From doing various backup test scenarios I have gathered this information:

* It seems that data below 70Gb�s is backed up and verified without a problem regardless of it�s on the C or D drive.

* In the logs when the verify usually failed on the D drive not on the C.

It seems that the verify always gives that same error when it is verifying the tape against the D:. My theory is that there are some files on the D that are interfering with the Veritas when it is verifying or the actual D: on the HP server is faulty..

I am at a lost at what to do with this issue and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks folks.

Ashish
7 REPLIES 7

Ashish_Uttamcha
Level 3
Partner
Also, what I was thinking is that if I can extract a more detailed log on the D: drive so I can determine what file/folder may be giving problems? How would I be able to obtain this?

Thanks,

Ashish_Uttamcha
Level 3
Partner
Also, wanted to add this wee bit, if I turn off the verify option both the C an D back up successfully and verify as they should.

See below the logs in the event viewer:

Backup Exec Alert Job Failed
(Server"namehere" (Job"test aug 23") test aug 23- the job failed with the following error. The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

And another event log entry..

Description: A format inconsistency was encountered during a tape read operation on HP1.

And one more..

Description:

Adamm Mover Read Error
Error= ERROR_IO_DEVICE
Drive="HP 1"
(53D26F07-44E5-4FDB-9AD-CECBLAHBLAH)
Media="Seagate 2006/08/23 13:23"
(Serial Number)
Read Mode: Single Block(0), SCSIPass (0)
Write Mode: Single Block(1), SCSIPass (1)

I had to type out those errors because the client sent me a screen shot..

Ashish_Uttamcha
Level 3
Partner
Any ideas guys?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As you are getting an hardawre related issue, verify if you are getting event i'd like 7,9,11 or 15?

Also tary taking backup on the b2d to isolate the cause of the issue.

Regards,

Ashish_Uttamcha
Level 3
Partner
Hello the Event ID's I am getting are 34113, 57612 & 33152.
What do you mean by isolate b2d? What is b2d?

I am still having this problem folks and I can't get it figured out...

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the following technote

(title) The error "The data being read from the media is inconsistent" (e00084ca HEX or a00084ca HEX) occurs when running a backup.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/273455

Thanks

Zsolt_Friedrich
Level 4
Dear Tejashree!

I think Ashish declared clearly that the recommended procedures were done. I write this because I also have the same issue, and couldn't find any solution, just to restart the BE services every day after the daily backup...

Thanks,
Zsolt Friedrich