cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem backingup mailbox - job fails

Finn_Boegild
Level 3
When I backup Exchange 2003 mailboxes, I do get this message in the log, and job fails:
"Access is denied to file Top of Information Store..."
I tried to add the reg-key "Fail Jobs on Corrupt Files" but without succes.
What to do ?

Thanks in advance...

Finn Boegild - ftb@kontorsyd.dk
10 REPLIES 10

Finn_Boegild
Level 3
Remark, that this is not a problem on all e-mails, and on all users. Usualy it regards spam mails that are in inbox or in deleted items.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
- Are you backing up individual mails or mailboxes?
- Could you let us know the exact error message?
- What rights does you account for backing up exchange mailboxes have?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Finn_Boegild
Level 3
The backup account has administartive rights.
I backup mailboxes.
The exact message is:
-Job Completion Status-------------------------
Job enden: 31. december 2005 at 00:12:55
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors
For additional information regarding this erroe refer to link V-79-57344-33928
- Errors--------------------------------------------
Backup- \\SERVER01\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.
Access denied to file Ole Jul .Top of Information Store.Indbakke.Re: Your software.
V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.
Access denied to file Ove V. Mogensen .Top of Information Store.Indbakke.Re: Your letter.
-Exceptions----------------------------------------
Backup- \\SERVER01\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
The item \\SERVER01\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\Ole Jul .Top of Information Store.Indbakke.□□□□□□□□□□□□ □□□□□□□□□□□□Re: Your software in use - skipped.
The item \\SERVER01\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\Ove V. Mogensen .Top of Information Store.Indbakke.□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□Re: Your letter in use - skipped.
--------------------------------------------------
Remark:
Indbakke is the danish word for Inbox
Ole Jul and Ove V. Mogensen are the mailbox names in the pressent error message.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello Finn,

Please refer to the following documents:

"How to confirm that an Exchange mailbox name is unique within the Exchange organization when configuring Backup Exec to back up Exchange "

http://support.veritas.com/docs/256537

Check if the mailbox is not hidden from the Global Adress List (GAL)

" How to remove the "Hidden" attribute from Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003 mailboxes so that the mailboxes will be available to the Global Address List for backup purposes"

http://support.veritas.com/docs/243328

Try running a small backup of a single mailbox to check if it fails with access denied.

Hope this helps !

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Finn_Boegild
Level 3
Hi - in general I have no problem backing-up the mailboxes of any person in the organisation - not even the mailboxes of the two persons in the error message. Only the mails mentioned in the error ar affecting the backup and make it fail. The e-mails that are not backed-up are typicaly spam-mails - and they make the backup fail - even though all the rest is backed up OK. I found the document http://support.veritas.com/docs/193940 in wich I see a simular problem, and I tried to ad the regkey - but with no positiv change to the problem. So it is not because I do not have the right permissions, that the backup fails. My idea is that it might be a problem that has connection to antivirus, but i dont know. It is Symantec Antivirus Enterprice Eddition v10.0.1.1007.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Finn,

The mailboxes that give an errors...did you try to take backups after excluding them? If not, try that. Another thing you can try is stop the anti virus (for the purpose of test) and then take the backups.

Revert with details if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Finn_Boegild
Level 3
Hi

I just found this link: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275013.htm it is spot on, but how is virusscanning affected if I turn off VSAPI?

Thanks...

Finn

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255047

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Finn_Boegild
Level 3
Hi - what do You sugest I do - refering to the link? That I disable my antivirus software while backing up? As virus are recived i e-mail at all hours, it would not be a smart thing to do - I guess. And it is not due to attachments i thees e-mails, that backup fails - mostly it is spam-mails, that cause the backup to fail.

regards...

Finn t Boegild

david_chaika
Level 3
I had a similar problem, and I think it was caused by open Outlook. Have your users log out of Outlook before the backup (mine runs late at night). In fact, I have told them I would force their OL to quit before the backup if it was open. (Use taskkill). If you can't you will just have to live with these messages. I would not do that registry tweak, as it will then prevent real error messages from getting to you.