cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem cataloging exabyte tapes

Abelgg2
Level 3
Hi,

I have a problem with backup exec 10.d. I have a bunch of exabyte tapes that I was asked to make sure we can read them before storage. We have a bunch of exabyte tape drives but they were kind of old and were not working correctly, so we decided to buy a new one. I have been trying to inventory the exabyte tapes but it is say bad media. We are sure is not the drive, since we can actually earase the tapes and use them without a problem, and also it cannot be because the have tried with many many different tapes. Those exabyte tapes were used with backup exec 9.0 for Novell, so I thought it could be that, but we also used some LTO 1 tapes with this software, and backup Exec 10.d read them perfectly. Please any ideas in what could I dot? I tried many things, but nothing seem to work.

Thank You.
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Were these tapes created with Hardware Compression?

I've had  problems in the past with reading old HW compressed tapes on newer drives.  If they won't even inventory, there isn't much that you will be able to do.

Abelgg2
Level 3
All the tapes we backup have hardware compression activated. I tried to use the version that was used to backup to these exabyte tapes. (Backup Exec Netware Administration Console 9.0) and It also gives me the same error. I am talking about hundreds of exabyte tapes. I can actually erase and write to them after with 3 different versions of Backup Exec, but it just wont let me read them. We used the exact same version of Backup Exec with an LTO1 tape drive and there was absolutely no problem reading these tapes, and they were also used with hardware compression activated, so I am guessing it must be something related to the exabyte drive, but I really can figure out what can it be. What did u do to read the old media?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As I said before, if you cannot even Inventory the tapes, BackupExec won't do anything with them

If the original Version (BENW 9.0)  and the same model drive won't read them, about all you can do is contact a Data Recovery Service (and they may very well not be able to do anything either) 

(You might have tapes that have deteriorated due to bad storage conditions)