cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in reading Tree information from Spanned tapes.

Touseef_Afzal
Level 3
Hi,
i m facing problem in loading tree information from spanned tapes. i m getting this error.
Error category : Backup Media ErrorsError : e0000900 -

The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-2304

i have followed the mentioned link but its not the proper solution as it will create tree information after reading the whole tape. I want that BE should read tree information from the Spanned tapes properly.

Kind regards
Touseef Afzal
10 REPLIES 10

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
What are you actually doing when you get that error? Running a catalog job, trying to run a restore? something else?

If you're not running a catalog job on one of the tapes, have you gone through and done a catalog job on each of the tapes in the set?

Touseef_Afzal
Level 3
Hi,
thanks for ur reply.

I have checked my spanned backups on tapes through MTF Check utility and its shows no error. i think i m missing some thing really important in order to catalog information from both tapes.

What i m doing is , i insert first tape and ask BE to read its catalog information. It successfully reads the catalog information from the first tape but does not ask to insert the second tape after reading the first tape and failed.

Is it any kind of problem with BE or i m missing some thing in order to load catalog information from both tapes.

Kind regards,
Touseef Afzal

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Not sure about the error you're getting, but in regard to getting the catalog information, you will need to run an inventory and catalog on each tape separately. Backup Exec does not prompt you to insert the next tape in the set, I suppose because in some circumstances that would be a bad thing. After all, if you just wanted to restore one file, and new which tape it was on (since you've got the backup logs still), you wouldn't want to waste time running catalogs on all the other tapes which you know you don't need. Also, if one of the tapes was destroyed, would you want the entire set written off, or keep the option of restoring the data which remains on the other tapes if required.

Keith

Touseef_Afzal
Level 3
u are right, but this may be right in some cases... As if i make backups on tapes by two different softwares which uses the same MTF format, then how can i get the information of backups by only using log of one application...

let me explain my requirement again...

I have made six backups on two tapes with BE.
5 backup on frist tape and 6th backup, half on first and half on second with catalog information of 6th backup on second tape. Now i want to restore this backup from NTBackup application which is using the same MTF backup format. If i try to read catalog information from NTBackup it fails. The same problem is happening with BE and i have mentioned its error in detail in my first post. I m not sure but i think i m missing out how to manage multiple tapes in BE and Removable Media storage for NTBackup.

Now my question is, what are the proper steps in order to manage multiple tapes to make sure that in case of spanning, every thing works fine.

Touseef Afzal

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Right I see where you're coming from, though I'm afraid I can't think of any suggestions on how you can move forward with this.

Are you sure that NTBackup uses exactly the same format as Backup Exec? I know they use a similar format, since NTBackup is basically an old version of Backup Exec / was produced by Veritas, but I'm sure I remember reading somewhere ages ago that the formats are not the same, and therefore won't work, but I could be wrong.

One thing which might help is this page I just found in my Favorites - http://www.fpns.net/willy/msbackup.htm#MVBKFFMT - which goes in to a lot of detail about NTBackup and the BKF format. It mentions issues with NTBackup and multi-volume backups, however I don't know how current this information is, and if it applies to the latest versions of Windows or not.

Keith

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Stop all the Backup Exec services
Rename the catalogs folder to catalogs.old
Restart all the services
click on tools - option - catalog under settings - uncheck the option- use storage media based catalog
try the catalog operation once more

Let us know if this works

Thanks

Touseef_Afzal
Level 3
thanks for ur reply.

i have seen this link before. But my question relates to how to manage multiple tapes with RSM , NTBackup and Backup Exec. If any body knows about this plz help me on this ....

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Touseef,

Could you please update us whether renaming Catalog Folder and running it again helped ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

Touseef_Afzal
Level 3
Hi,
thanks for ur reply. Yes even after renaming the catalog folder, its still not working.

I have stand alone tape drive, so i have to change media manually, but backup exec does not generate any operator request in order to get next media and generate an error.

I think i m not able to explain my problem.
Ok, one final question.

I have splitted backup on two tapes. what are the steps i have to follows in order to restore data from those tapes by using Backup Exec or NTBackup.
Remember i have stand alone tape drive and also i have verified with MTFCheck that data is written perfectly on both tapes.

Kind regards,
Touseef AfzalMessage was edited by:
Touseef Afzal

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Can you see the medias containg the backup in the restore selections?

Regards,