cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with VSS backing up Exchange server

Francois_Coutur
Level 4
Hi,

I need to restore single messages or single mailbox really often on an Exchange server.  A couple of days ago I was able to do that without any problems.  Now, I can only restore the entire EDB file.  I can no longer restore single messages or mailbox.  Here is the message I get in the job log :

Backup- server.domain.local

V-79-57344-34110 - ADBO: Offhost backup initialization failure on: "\\server.domain.local\Microsoft Information Store\Premier groupe de stockage".

Snapshot provider error (0xE0008534): Backup Exec could not find a Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) software or hardware provider on the media server. To use offhost backup, a VSS provider must be installed on both the media server and on the remote computer.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

The Exchange server is being backup by a remote server.  The VSS service is installed on the remote server.  Nothing has change on both server (backup server and remote server).

Please help.  Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3

Francois_Coutur
Level 4
Nobody can help?

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Sounds like one of your servers may have VSS in a bad state, which happens from time to time.  Run this in a command line window on both servers:

vssadmin list  writers

See if it shows any of the VSS writers in a state indicating a problem.  The general fix if you have VSS in a bad state is just to reboot the offending machine when possible.

Francois_Coutur
Level 4
There is no errors with any writers on both server.