cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems recognizing tape storage

WPS-OIT
Level 2

I am new to Backupexec so if I am not presenting any information needed, please let me know.

I have a new Exchange 2010 server that I set up on Windows 2008 R2. It is a guest machine on VMware 4.1. I have a Quantum Scalar i40 tape library connected to the system with a mini-SAS connection.

I installed Backupexec 2010 v. 13.0 Rev. 2896 (64bit). Under devices it detects and installs something it calls "HP 1". I look at the properties and it says the product is an Ultrium 5-SCSI, and it gives the same serial number that belongs to the drive on the Quantum Scalar i40. It also lists it as "offline."

I try to set it as "online" or inventory it using Backupexec and I get errors:

"Inventory Drive 00005 -- The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Drive not found."

I also see the following in the event viewer:

"The drive hardware is offline. Please confirm that the drive hardware is powered on and properly cabled."

I used the symantec drivers when installing. I can't seem to figure out how to remove it and then use the Quantum Scalar i40 drivers. Any thoughts?

9 REPLIES 9

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Please check the Windows device manager, If the OS does not detect the device then 

Backup Exec will not be able to detect the same.

WPS-OIT
Level 2

AmolZeroCool,

Windows sees the device as "Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-5 Drive".

AmolB

Do you see an entry called "Medium changer" in the device manager.

legioon
Level 4

when you select "online" option it's not mean really online.

Please unistall all ultrium drivers on devices and manager and uninstall all symantec driver on your system. after reboot your server and check your cables. after reboot again install your symantec driver.

WPS-OIT
Level 2

AmolZeroCool,

No, I do not see that in the device manager.

AmolB

So its the medium changer which is causing problem, you will have to make sure that  

the OS detects the changer else Backup exec will detect the tape device as a

standalone device.

AmolB

Any update on the issue? If the above post has answered your query do mark it 

as a solution.

WPS-OIT
Level 2

I spoke with the manufacturers of the tape drive and they confirmed what you said. Since we cannot see anything listed as "media changer" in the Windows device list then that's where I have to start.

They believe the issue is that the SAS controller card does not have the correct drivers installed. They said they have seen this before because the default firmware / drivers on the card are for RAID and are not compatible with the tape library.

The next step for me is to figure out exactly what card I have in the system so that I can get a hold of the correct drivers. This is proving more dificult than I thought, unfortunately. It is listed in device manager as "LSI Adapter SAS 3000 Series 8 Port with 1068".

teiva-boy
Level 6

Did you virtualize your BackcupExec server too?  If so, that is probably your issue right there.  Check the Vmware HCL and verify your SAS card, tape, etc are all compatible.  You'll find that it's a very short list of approved and tested hardware.  Symantec's supported list of hardware when virtualized is even shorter, for good reason too.