cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Problems restoring backups from different machine

Koenraad_Lelong
Level 4
Hi,
I'm planning to replace a Win2000 machine with a Win2003 machine. One of the main functions these machines do is backup.
I installed BE10 (which I "own") on a new Win2003 test-machine and tried to make a backup, which failed. Then I tried to restore a backup made on the Win2000 machine. This didn't work either.
So I installed Win2000 and BE10 on the test-machine. There I tried a backup and a restore which ran fine. But then I tried to restore a backup from the old machine. First I did an inventory, then a catalog. The result was always that the media couldn't be mounted. I needed an inventory before I could try another catalog. I found references in the knowledge base about this and I tried deleting the catalog directory on the server.... This didn't help.
Finally I installed Win2003 again and BE11d. Backing up and restoring freshly made backups went fine but restoring a backup from the Win2000/BE10 machine still failed.
The backups are made on a removable disk (Rev70), so I used "backup to removable disk" with BE10. The backup is split in files of 2GB. The whole backup consists of several files.
When I run an inventory only one file of the backup is found (seemingly random, it's not the file with the smallest "number" and it doesn't have the oldest date). When I do a catalog it runs fine for that one file, and then the drive is ejected, asking for another medium containing another file (next in the sequence, which is on the disk just ejected). Remounting the disk is useless.
I'm lost, what is needed to restore "old" backups ? I do have an archive of a few years, with other removable disks. I hope I can use these when needed when I switch to the new machine.
Regards,
Koenraad Lelong.
0 REPLIES 0