cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Queries on Symantec Backup Exec

wmujawar
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Please help with to my following queries on Back up exec:\.

I Have procured SQL agent and an Exchange agent to back up my SQL server and Exchange Server. Both the server are in LAN at a single location.

I want to install Media server on a separate Desktop Machine and will attach my tape device to this machine. I want to Back up data from the SQL server and Exchange server to this separate Desktop and then push it to the tape drive connected to this separate Desktop.

Q1. What should be the OS on this Separate Desktop which acts as a media server ? whether 32 bit or 64 bit?

Q2. Should I procure RAWS or Should I procure ADBO or should I procure CASO to Pull data from the SQL sever and the Exchange server to this separate Desktop ie Media Server

Q3. What is the difference between Synthetic backup and the traditional back up methods (Full /Incremental/ differential) and when should I use Synthetic backup.

Please assist.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In what cases do you require the ADBO and the CASO?

You would use ADBO if you need to do synthetic or off-host backups.  You would use CASO when you have a couple of media servers and you want to centralise their management.

If I have backed up the data on a NAS solution and want to replicate it to a NAS box at other location what agent or option should I procure for replication.

You would install media servers on both locations with the dedup option and use optimised dedup to duplicate the dedup folder from one location to another.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Q1. What should be the OS on this Separate Desktop which acts as a media server ? whether 32 bit or 64 bit?

The only "desktop" that can be used as a media server is WinXP, either 32- or 64-bits.

Do note that you may not be able to use WinXP as a media server with the next release of BE.  Notice have been given that this option is retiring soon.

Q2. Should I procure RAWS or Should I procure ADBO or should I procure CASO to Pull data from the SQL sever and the Exchange server to this separate Desktop ie Media Server

The SQL and Exchange agent licence comes with a RAWS licence and this should be sufficient for you to backup Exchange and SQL.  There is no need for CASO in your case.

ADBO is only need if you want to do synthetic or off-host backups.

Q3. What is the difference between Synthetic backup and the traditional back up methods (Full /Incremental/ differential) and when should I use Synthetic backup.

You use synthetic backup if you want to create full backups from your full and incremental backups without backing up the server again.  The synthetic backup is done by the media server and it does not involve the remote server.

wmujawar
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your reply,

If I have backed up the data on a NAS solution and want to replicate it to a NAS box at other location what agent or option should I procure for replication.

Regards

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would use ADBO if you need to do synthetic or off-host backups.  You would use CASO when you have a couple of media servers and you want to centralise their management.

You would install media servers on both locations with the dedup option and use optimised dedup to duplicate the dedup folder from one location to another.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As advsided you should really use a server operating syetem for a Media Server - this recommendation is nto just against Windows XP being an old oepertaing system and us not supporting Vista or Windows 7 as a media server but also is a very strong suggestion for the best type of environment should you be considering DeDuplication.