cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question: DFS shared file resources backup (via Backup LAN)

T_a_z
Level 3

Dear all!

I've a question about DFS file shared resources backup.

There are Windows Server 2008 R2 MSFC file servers (active-passive failover cluster),
Standalone DFS.
Active Directory: WS 2008
BE2010 R2: WS2008 R2
DFS application services owned IP addresses DFS_1 and DFS_2.
BE remote agent installed on MSFC#1 and MSFC#2.

They have service netwrok (LAN1) and backup network (LAN2).
Backup Exec execute backups via LAN2.

I can exucute backup "DFS" (target name: DFS) shared files  via LAN1.

Are there better way to backup DFS shared files via LAN2?
I try to set DFS_2's IP address, but BE2010 can't do backup.
I browes DFS_2 with IP address, it only appeared active nodes (ex. MSFC#1 nodes) shared resouces.
It's not DFS resouces.

I can't find DFS resources BE2010 via LAN2.

2 REPLIES 2

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You need to perform the backup of your DFS folder fromt he shadow copy component --User data...

If you have backed up the shadowcopy component then you can restore it by making the selections under --shadowcopy components--user data.

If you perform the backup direclty by selecting the folder you would only have the directory structure

Hotp this helps

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hmm Ignoring DFS for a monute as you are doing share level backups anyway and just looking at the clsuter,.

Typically to make backusp work across a backup LAN every communication path between the media server and the devcie(s) being backed up has to name resolve to the Backup Network

As such on your media server make sure you have a hosts file entries for the backup network IP addresses of both nodes of the cluster and the virtual (cluster) server that owns the share. Make sure short DNS name and FQDN are both represenetd in the hosts file for every resource.

Also on each node of the cluster make sure that Hosts entries exists for the media server backup LAN IP address (again both short and FQDN)

If anything between the servers resolves to the wrong IP address then you will either get a failure or the backup traffic will go over the wrong network.

Note you could do this via your DNS server - but if you change your DNS server you will affect access from other devices that should be via the main network - hence hosts files are usually safer.