cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about beserver.exe

Matt_Mehling
Level 2
I am running Backup Exec Version 10.0 rev 5484 Service Pack 1 on Windows Server 2003. In task manager every 100 seconds the CPU utilization jumps up to 41% for 1 second and then returns to its normal Idle position. The process tab shows the beserver.exe process causing the CPU utilization spike. The backup only takes place at night and is finished in a couple of hours. This CPU utilization spike occurs every 100 seconds all day long. I am wanting to know if this CPU utilization spike is normal.
9 REPLIES 9

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hi

Could you tell us which process is Utlizing the maximum CPU percentage ?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Matt_Mehling
Level 2
During the CPU Utilization spike every 100 seconds the beserver.exe running process uses 41% of the cpu. The rest of the CPU usage is under the System Idle Process which is normal becuase the server is not that busy. I also have all the updates installed that apply to my version of Backup Exec.

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

Such problems could also be due to the unneccessary Catalog files or also catalog corruption. Please try performing the following :

Stop all the BE services, rename the Catalogs folder (under C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT) to Catalogsold. And now start all the BE services.

If incase the catalogs are of great concern then delete the unused or the catalogs that are no longer needed.

Please write back to us if the issue persists & also if there are any error messages in the Event logs or in Backup Exec.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions"pool.

Matt_Mehling
Level 2
There are no error messages from backup exec or from Windows server 2003 event viewer. There are no signs of a problem other than the spike in CPU usage by beserver.exe every 100 seconds.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. Please reapply MDAC:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=78cac895-efc2-4f8e-a9e0-3a1afbd5922e&displaylang=en&Hash=WDCPF34

2. Also run a repair install from add remove programs.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Alan_Foley
Level 4
Do the support folks @ Veritas understand that by default the MDAC ver 2.8 is installed by the OS on W2K3, and according to the MS document "Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) Installation" MDAC 2.8 SP1 cannot be installed. MS document 828396 gives specific details for file versions/names for MDAC 2.8. Simply repeating reload MDAC is not the very best answer and the knowledge base that is being used needs to be updated with a better answer for W2k3.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Assuming the provided solution is correct, also there is no update since the last reply to this post

Matt_Mehling
Level 2
My original question was is the situation caused by beserver.exe normal. I am assuming it is because I have the same situation on another computer. I am assuming this is normal. This must be the correct answer.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

From your reply it seems that your problem is resolved.
In case it is not, do revert.

Thank you for the update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.