cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about media sets\overwrite protection period

Matthew_Anstis
Level 3
We have 5 B2D folders each with their own backup job. Each job is set to overwrite
but the B2D folders have a media overwrite protection period of 5 days. The overwrite protection level is partial to ensure nothing gets overwritten for 5 days. There is plenty of hard drive space. My understanding now is we will have 5 days worth of backups for each B2D folder.
Each B2D job is duplicated to tape. The first tape job is set to overwrite and the following duplicate jobs are set to append. I don't undertstand why the tape can't have a media overwrite protection period which allows more than one days worth of jobs to be stored on it. Because the first tape job is set to overwrite, the tape is just spat out when the second day's job tries to write to it even though there is plenty of space on it. The B2D folders don't have a problem when an overwrite job is sent to it even though there are overwrite protected jobs in them. In other words, the B2D folders don't spit anything out? Why is that?

cheers
1 REPLY 1

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
I think the way that the B2D folders work is slightly different to when you use tapes in that overwrite protection prevents the backup files from being overwritten, but doesn't prevent new backup files from being created.

For your tape backups you'll need to ensure that while the first backup job is an overwrite job, while the other jobs will need to be append jobs, otherwise they'll need to have new tapes for each job.